Ipads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ipads

Thanks Steve. I myself am now seriously considering the Iphone for my purposes plus maybe the Tablet!!!!!! I am quite surprised how much technology has moved on since I "retired"!!!!!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat, I'd suggest you go into an Apple store and speak to someone. That way you can get a hands on play with an iPad, mini iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air.
      FWIW from what you said originally I think the new iPad or a mini iPad would be best. I personally don't like them that much but my wife uses one almost exclusively. likewise my daughter uses a mini iPad most of the time. I've got a 13" MBA with the faster processor and extra ram and I pretty much agree with Tom but I travel a lot and use it for some work too. I don't know that Tom is right about the weight though, the new iPads are very light.
      Unless you need a new phone I wouldn't get the iPhone. (i've got one of them too :reface: ) It can do everything the iPad can but the screen size is limiting.
      The other thing you need to decide is whether you want a iPad or phone with 3G or just wifi. Likewise instead of the iPhone you can get the iPod touch, it's like the phone apart from it isn't a phone although you can Skype on it with the wifi. Confused yet? :big grin:
      Again my wife and daughter both only have the wifi versions. It is cheaper and you get free wifi almost everywhere anyway!
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I love my iPad Nat, and use it a lot, I read my daily papers on it, sofa-surf, E-mail & message, but like others, I never use it for editing images, although it's a grand tool for showcasing images, once they have been transferred to the iPad (usually via iCloud).
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

thanks Wayne Els and Les. quite confused already. Yes, I do need a change of a phone anyway and I am going in for a smart phone- Samsung Galaxy. Having made one definite decision I have to now think about the ipad,mini ipad etc. I have handled an apple Ipad (64 Gb) at a friends place only last week but one can't learn everything with just one sitting. The one thing I don't want is extra weight to cart around. Anyway in my own "ponderous" way I will get to the right decision as long as I don't rush into it.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat, might I suggest you take a look at the Moto G first before going for the Samsung - I got mine for £110 from Amazon and have been very pleased with it. The big advantages is that it's a Google phone so gets all the upgrades as soon as they ship (like an iPhone) and has none of the third party software other vendors layer on the top of Android so it's a lot slicker and responsive.

Rated as the best budget Android phone and, apart from the camera, as good as much more expensive phones.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              thanks Wayne Els and Les. quite confused already. Yes, I do need a change of a phone anyway and I am going in for a smart phone- Samsung Galaxy. Having made one definite decision I have to now think about the ipad,mini ipad etc. I have handled an apple Ipad (64 Gb) at a friends place only last week but one can't learn everything with just one sitting. The one thing I don't want is extra weight to cart around. Anyway in my own "ponderous" way I will get to the right decision as long as I don't rush into it.
              I have the Samsung S4 (black edition), and it is a great smartphone!!
              With kind regards,
              Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Thanks Andy,Friso and all the other good and helpful members for all your advice. Actually my head has been "done in" by trying to understand IT/computer/Ipad technology. However I have decided to buy the Samsung Galaxy Y which has been reduced to a price of £44.95, which is SIM free as well. At that price, I can even give the phone away to Charity if it doesn't meet my requirements. With regard to the Ipads/mini ipads and so on, I am going away next week to spend "3 sleeps" (as they call it) to my daughter's place in Macclesfield.Both my daughter and son in law are more with it with these gadgets (inc my grand daughter aged 7 years) that I will come away either very enlightened or more confused and down in the dumps to make a decision one way or another.

Comment

Nat, the Galaxy Y, I am fairly sure, is very much an entry level smart phone, not even sure it is even still current (lots of stock still being sold, but no longer on Samsung website).

there is nothing wrong with it, esp for the price - if you want essentially a phone, with some smart phone features. But consider this: the specs are low, the performance (compared with say an iphone or Galaxy S3/4 or 5 for example) will be very low. the screen is quite low res (nothing like the ipad or iphone or better Samsungs). The lower spec samsung phones also tend to be very slow at running certain apps too and can stutter and freeze.

I am 48, and my eyesight is still pretty good (don't need glasses yet....) and I am finding the larger and much better screen on an iphone 5s a bit small and fiddly for some things - esp typing texting and even though the screen is fantastic for photos, it is still a bit small for viewing some details. If you go for this alone, I think you will very quickly become frustrated.

However if you are still intending to go for a tablet then you will find this really just becomes a phone 99% of the time - which would be fine. If you do go this route, then I would add a samsung tablet to your considerations - as you will find it much easier to stay with one operating system, in this case android - moving between the phone and the tablet will seem familiar. For a long time I did not like the Android system, despite what all the Apple haters kept saying - it never felt as smooth or slick - but this is not the case anymore, the latest Android esp on Samsung is excellent. Take a look at the galaxy Note (10 inch I think) and the 8" - they have them on display in most ASDA stores and curry's etc - I am sure once you view photos on these you would not want to do so on a small phone -

Just my thoughts form experience.
                  Ian
                  EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Thanks Ian for your post. I have only now seen it. I thought I might mention that I finally bought the Doro smart phone. I find that it is very convenient for texting,has larger key pads etc. The only problem I have now is that my top up credits are dwindling fast although I (i) enable wi-fi when I am at home (ii) I disable the wi-fi when I shut down(iii)keep the phone shut down when driving around (although I would like to keep it switched on) and still I find that my battery drain is negligible but the top up credits keep on going down. I never had this problem with my previous provider 02. I am now with T-Mobile (EE). Any idea why this is so?

Comment

Nathaniel - check how many of the Apps you have on the phone are sending "Push" notifications. If you're not on WiFi, they'll use the data network that will eat into your allowance. Make sure you shut Apps down when you've finished using them, rather than just let them run in the background. This will eat into your allowance and drain the battery.
                      It's also worth checking "location services" as these eat data & battery life.
                      I don't know the phone you're using, but as a long-term iPhone user I've grown used to closing apps and turning push-notifications off to save (in particular) battery life (iPhone's are notorious for poor battery life).

if you still have problems, give the EE help desk a call - I found them very good in the past.

Comment

Thanks Roberto. The phone I am using is the Doro Liberto 810. I agree that something is "working in the background" when I shut down but don't know which. I have contacted EE and they hope to get back to me.

Comment

I see that you're sorted out with a device Nat. Just for future reference, I've recently bought a Microsoft Surface Pro v1, it runs full Windows 8.1 and has a 128GB SSD. It runs full Windows software, i.e Photoshop, although to date, I haven't been able to get DPP to work! The handy thing with this Tablet, is that I can plug the camera into it's USB port and save my images.

The device itself its fairly hefty in comparison to an Ipad or an Android Tablet and the battery life is fairly short too, but the fact that it runs Windows software won me over. It's Horses for courses though.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Nat

Have a look at this. At a guess I would think that your mobile data usage is using your money.

Look at this:

You could speak to your providers about packages even on pay as you go. I pay 10.00 per month and get 400 text - 1 GB internet (find this enough for me) and then I do a minutes text and get 100 minutes of phone calls for 7.50.

Hope this helps.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                              Nat

Have a look at this. At a guess I would think that your mobile data usage is using your money.

Look at this:

You could speak to your providers about packages even on pay as you go. I pay 10.00 per month and get 400 text - 1 GB internet (find this enough for me) and then I do a minutes text and get 100 minutes of phone calls for 7.50.

Hope this helps.
                              Thanks Di. That looks like a very good deal. I will call round my provider and discuss this. I might mention that I have discovered the cause of the my dwindling credit. I had not switched off the internet on my smart phone. Now it is fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X