Back up system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back up system

How, if at all, do you guys back-up your data.

I started backing up my files, not operating system etc, many years ago, with an 80Gb Maxcom external drive.

I then added a 1Tb (USB 2.0) WD external drive, as the number of my images files (terrestrial and astro) began to increase, and I got into HD video, which creates very large files.

Have just added a 2Tb WD (USB 3.0) external drive to my system, and invested in Acronis True Image 2015 software, to manage it.

This works very well indeed, and on the new drive, I have the my entire C drive backed up.

I still back up my images on all three drives, as it doesn't take long, and that way, its like having good insurance.

BTW, I don't bother with 'Cloud' storage, even though I get a reasonable amount free, from my broadband provider.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Back up system

I have 2, one backs up daily onto a 3Tb hard drive and another separate one that I do once a month - I also have a remote back up that I use monthly but thats because I have the space on the server otherwise I would probably just stick to the two drives here. One thing I do think is important is to have two backups as you never know when one will fail -
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Re: Back up system

I don't do any back ups. I've seen enough hard drives and solid state memory sticks fail in my time to not trust them. If I want to back up. I push to the cloud where the back up strategy will exceed any one I could manage. I do have an LTO4 tape with some stuff on it at work lol

If you must back up then a NAS box with several drives in a RAID is advised, even at that though, they still fail.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
      X