Graphics tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics tablets

Not something I ever got on with in the past, but my daughter is quite an artist and wants a graphics tablet. Anybody use one and can give me any suggestions on what to look at?
    Paul

Re: Graphics tablets

I use a Wacom Bamboo had it for a while now it is basic but does the job for me when I need a but more precise control that the mouse doesn't offer me.
    I think that the one in the link below has replaced the bamboo
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Intuos...raphics+tablet
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

another vote for the Wacom Bamboo been using it for sometime
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Had my Bamboo for about 6 years now - couldnt work without it

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Bamboo is looking to be the hot favourite then, lol
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
            I use a Wacom Bamboo had it for a while now it is basic but does the job for me when I need a but more precise control that the mouse doesn't offer me.
            I think that the one in the link below has replaced the bamboo
            As Paul says, I think the Wacom Intuos has replaced the Bamboo. Good bit of kit
            1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

The only thing that you have to decide is what size to get and whether to get the wireless adapter for it.

I have the bamboo + wireless adapter as I found the usb cable a little on the short side
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                The only thing that you have to decide is what size to get and whether to get the wireless adapter for it.

I have the bamboo + wireless adapter as I found the usb cable a little on the short side
                I agree. The length of the USB cable is so short that they almost force you to buy the wireless kit, especially if you use a desktop.
                1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I have used the Wacom Intuos4 for a number of years now. Graphics tablets do give you more precise control than a mouse. Mind you I still have a mouse connected to the PC as well, but it is mainly for non photography editing uses.
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The Bamboo is great in so far as it goes, I used one for years and it's perfect for photo-retouching, but it's of little practical use for art/drawing purposes. The included pen is a little basic, the drawing area is small, and the sensitivity is somewhat lacking.

I've recently upgraded to an Intuos Pro Medium, and the difference between that and the Bamboo is as great as the difference between a mouse and the Bamboo initially was - i.e. HUGE . The Pro version is a lot more expensive (>£200) but comes with niceties such as function keys, scroll-wheel, wireless operation and tilt-sensitivity and is probably overkill until you've determined whether you'll get on with the trackpad.

I'd suggest, for art purposes, the Intuos Pen & Touch Medium as a good happy-medium. It offers a decent sized drawing area, a good pen with eraser, function keys, and it acts as a track-pad (so you don't actually need a mouse too) which recognises gestures and can be user-programmed to perform user-defined tasks. The last time I looked Amazon had it for around £130, or a little more from Currys.
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Excellent info, thank you.
                      Paul

Comment

I been considering a tablet for a while, for Photoshop work. Fantastic info, thanks all. On my Christmas list
                        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Ordered her an Intuos with Manga software, which is her passion. Don't want to spend too much and find that she doesn't get on with it obviously. Watched a couple of youtube reviews and they have come a long way since I first tried one in the mid 90s, lol. I might have to try it and see how I find it for photoshop.
                          Paul

Comment

A bit 'late to the party on this one'

However, having read through this 'thread', I got to thinking one of these tablet gizmos might be a useful addition to my photo editing/retouching armoury. Mrs S has been asking me for weeks, what I would like for Christmas, and I haven't been able to think of a single sensible suggestion.

So, I'm now thinking "tablet".

But having never used one, I haven't a clue as to what is good or bad, and good enough for my intended use, without buying overkill.

My requirement is purely for photo editing with Photoshop, and to make using the editing tools easier, and more precise than using the mouse.

Here are three options that I have looked at:

and

and

I wouldn't want to be asking her to spend any more than this, especially given the amount of use it would likely get.

You advice would be most welcome.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Hope you find something that works for you Dave.

Mine was a cheapie from a supermarket... but that said it does seem to work well and having the pen in your hand when you're editing seems more natural
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X