Cannot upload from saved Verbatim DVD+R disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot upload from saved Verbatim DVD+R disc

I saved some pictures on to my DVD +R disc and now find that I cannot uploand any image on to my computer. I have other saved pics on other ,same brand DVD+R discs, and they I am able to look at the images without any problem. The only message I get with this particular disc is " transfer images to the disc..........etc. The intriguing fact is that I was able to upload the saved images on to my computer about a month ago without any difficulty. The disc is not erased as it shows that it is approx 80% full. I don't know what I have done wrong or I am not doing. The disc is inserted on to the E drive of my computer. I use a desk top HP computer.

Any help from the knowledgeable members would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Cannot upload from saved Verbatim DVD+R disc

I'm guessing you burnt a load of images onto the DVDR so would have changed the source direction so maybe make sure its not still set the same
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Ian, how do I go about re-seting it, if thats all to it? You are probably right as I couldn't burn a further set of pics to the same DVDR as I did get a message to something to that effect. So the images I was trying to burn went to a temporary folder, which I then deleted- as the images on the temporary folder kept on coming each time I try to upload images from this particular DVDR.

Ta
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 01-12-2014, 13:53.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

If this is the problem when you click to save an image you'll see an option for the location, click on that and navigate to the folder where you normally save images

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Not sure what the problem is but DVD's and DVD's can be very fickle and it is not good to rely on them - by co incidence i have just copied the studio session shots i did yesterday to give to my daughter and although the writing software confirmed the photos had been copied the disk is blank. Not quite the same problem as you but far better to back up to a seperate hard drive than rely on DVD's

stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

if I'm sending images on I just use dropbox saves messing with DVDs

but I agree DVDs are fickle and should only be used for sending images

Comment

if I'm sending images on I just use dropbox
              I usually do that or use wetransfer but the daughter wanted a disk !! - just managed to burn it oe the wifes laptop

Stan
              Last edited by Stan; 02-12-2014, 12:23.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                [QUOTEif I'm sending images on I just use dropbox ]
                I usually do that or use wetransfer but the daughter wanted a disk !! - just managed to burn it one the wifes laptop

Stan[/QUOTE]

well it all goes on the bill

looks like the quote isn't working now ....sigh

Comment

Thanks folk for your good advice. This is the first disc that has given me this sort of problem. I still cannot load any of the images I have saved on this particular disc back to my computer for viewing purposes. Do you think if I save on to another hard drive, I will be more certain of retrieving my images, if and when necessary. I am only saving my images,presently on discs,so that my family could view them,if they wish to,when I am not around. As my images are never x rated ones, I certainly don't want to save on to something which is controlled with passwords etc as this would defeat my purpose in saving the images. I have thought of cloud, dropbox and similar but these could be "messy" for my family. I am looking for a simple and straight forward method of saving my images. Any help in that direction would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
                  Nat

Comment

right now I starting to catch up. I presume you can see the images as jpeg files on the DVDr? Theres a few things I would try

Have you tried using another PC to see if you can view the images?

Have you tried burning another DVDr? to see if you have the same problem. As pointed out they are not the most stable things!

Have you tried saving anything else other than a Jpeg to see if you have the same problem, maybe a word doc.

Give that a go, then let us know

Comment

Do you think if I save on to another hard drive, I will be more certain of retrieving my images, if and when necessary. I am only saving my images,presently on discs,so that my family could view them
                      are you saying the only copy you have of the images is on the disk, surely you have the original on your hard drive

Stan

flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan and Ian. I have tried another disc (same brand) on my computer and it is fine. All have been saved in Jpeg format. Stan, I have the originals on my hard drive as well and so I have not lost anything todate. I am only keen on a good idea to save my images in case of any virus attack or similar. The DVDR discs so far used, apart from this one, is fine. I am told that the USB Kingston flash (the small silver gadget) which I used to keep my work files, is very good and lasts a very long time- for retrieval purposes. I don't know how good this is for pictures. Any ideas?

Comment

great news - you really can't put much faith in DVDs, ok to copy and send to a friend and thats about it

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          . I am told that the USB Kingston flash (the small silver gadget) which I used to keep my work files, is very good and lasts a very long time- for retrieval purposes. I don't know how good this is for pictures. Any ideas?
                          I wouldn't trust one - I had a client that used one for his business crazy!! it had all his data on, he thought it was handy to just unplug it when at the office and take it home to carry on working - till it stopped!!

HD's is the way forward Nat, they are so cheap now you can buy 2 or 3 have loads of backups and you'll know most of the time it will work...but even they fail hence why you have redundancies

Comment

I am only keen on a good idea to save my images in case of any virus attack or similar
                            Nat you have been involved with similar discussions at least twice over the past few weeks - most, if not everyone who backs up their images uses a seperate hard disk, never DVD's - A 1 TB external hard disk is only around £60 - imagine the cost in DVD's to get that total capacity, not to mention the physical space they would take up. Even if you are using them to share images with family etc, a much better idea is to use something like wetransfer, dropbox or even flickr

Stan

flickr

Comment

In my previous discussions I never had problems with my DVDR and I advised using the same in that thread. However, now that this has happend to me with one of my discs, the warning is clear.Yes, the hard drive is a good solution & I can sleep "easy". Actually, this came to the fore as only last week I photographed a Russell Watson concert at the request of his production company S.J.M.(I am unable to post any of the pics until I get clearance from his team- I have sent copies of the pics for their approval as they wouldn't want him being shown eating a bacon butty!!!!!!). I was being ultra cautious by trying to save these pics on my DVDR that the problem started. (This is perhaps the reason for my sudden interest in these discs!!)
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 04-12-2014, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X