Linx 8 Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linx 8 Tablet

We had a bit of a discussion about Android Tablets and iPads a while ago but yesterday I found the Linx 8, and the other models 7 and 10 where the number is the screen size, as you'd probably guess. Rather than running Android or IOS this runs a full version of Windows 8.1 known as Windows Bing, so called because you have to use the Microsoft search engine Bing in Internet explorer.

The spec is decent - a quad core Intel Atom with 32GB of storage and 1GB of RAM and so far it's run everything I've thrown at it which includes Chrome, iTunes and OpenOffice without any signs of a stutter or slowdown. Personally I'd have preferred 2GB of RAM but so far I've not seen any problems in that area, although it seems the 32GB of storage is a current offer and the default is 16GB which they will drop back to some time. Oh and a one year subscription for Office365 is included in the price.

It also has a micro HDMI port for TV or monitor out and micro SD card slot for additional storage and supports USB on the go so you can connect external storage like USB sticks or SD/CF Card adaptors or perhaps even cameras...

So this evening/weekend I plan to install DPP on it and see if I can do some mobile picture viewing and light processing. It may be an interesting mobile editing solution, although Lightroom's hardware specs are too high and the screen way to small for the real estate Lightroom needs to be usable. The 10inch version may be a different question.

And the price? I picked up mine from Sainsbury's for £89.99. If you buy it from Amazon you can get the same price but also a £30 cash back if you send in another used tablet. So if you include the Office365 deal and the cash back, the total price is around a tenner. Bargain. The 10inch version is £159 and has 2GB of RAM so more capable but less portable.

Clearly this is Microsoft and Intel trying to buy market share as Android/ARM and IOS/ARM are eating their market share in the tablet area and they're worried it will translate into lost desktop sales but I'm not knocking it because it truly is a very capable little device.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Linx 8 Tablet

Are you a salesman's for the Linx 8 if you are you have missed one thing!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Sorry Michael, I've no idea what you're talking about.

Anyway, having had a tinker I've found that DPP runs pretty well, though I need a mouse to do any editing and my bluetooth mouse is at work...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
        Sorry Michael, I've no idea what you're talking about
        What's the Display resolution 1024x768 or 1280x1080 when explaining a tablet please include the "resolution" or a link is better
        Last edited by Michael.K; 25-01-2015, 22:58.

Comment

Might have been easier to just ask the question Michael
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Michael.K View Post
            What's the Display resolution 1024x768 or 1280x1080 when explaining a tablet please include the "resolution" got it now?
            Perhaps if he was a salesman for them, he would have remembered to post every single detail about it. Perhaps if he was asked in a more polite manner then he would have been able to answer that as well without getting any 'attitude' from a poster for no reason. Got it?

A quick search and it appears to be 1280 x 800.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
            EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
            [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
              Perhaps if he was a salesman for them, he would have remembered to post every single detail about it. Perhaps if he was asked in a more polite manner then he would have been able to answer that as well without getting any 'attitude' from a poster for no reason. Got it?

A quick search and it appears to be 1280 x 800.
              And do all salesman have this know how? enter PC world and ask a few basic questions and what you will get is "Sorry" Words have so many different meanings If I had a bad attitude I could have said something different but I didn't because that is not who I am.

I don't know why I have to explain when you have got a few thing wrong in my Thread "Image Of The Year 2015"
              Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
              So is he implying its happened? or just saying do it anyway...??
              Last edited by Michael.K; 25-01-2015, 22:38.

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                Might have been easier to just ask the question Michael
                maybe it might been easy to put a link

Comment

Working...
                X