No announcement yet.

Another computer advice thread, sorry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another computer advice thread, sorry!

have a look on www.scan.co.uk/todayonly deals you sometimes get mobo/cpu/memory bundles

todays one you would need to add ram and graphics card or just ram and wait a while for graphics card
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

In your experience Stephen, what sort of money are you talking for a home built machine?
      Something good that will last a few years.
      Good processor, good motherboard, plenty of memory, lots of hard drive space, dedicated good graphics card etc..
      £600-£1000+

I always advise not to skimp on a motherboard, after all everything plugs in to the motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive etc.. everything.
      I also advise to get a system that is fit for purpose; so if the PC is for surfing the net and writing letters and emails then spending £200 is fine; if playing games or doing graphics work then you need something better. Better generally means better, faster and more expensive components.

Just looking at some of my own links.
      CCL Computers - CCL Alpha Supremacy System £409.99. This is a reasonable spec PC at a reasonable price, plus they offer finance.

Hope it helps
      Stephen
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Alan and Stephen for your replies. I can't stretch to £600 plus for a pc. I don't think I've ever spent more than £400 on a pc, and they've all given me reasonable service longevity. Of course, the issues come when everything needs updating and the memory can't handle it! I guess if I went for a custom build like that CCL it makes it a little more future proof. Food for thought. I'd still need to add an os though, and a new monitor. Once i buy a new machine, im going to be back here for more help to transfer my software too you know!
        Thanks for the links guys

Garry
        Last edited by digiman; 30-04-2015, 15:30.
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Lenovo are quite good and the higher spec machines at John Lewis are a lot more expensive I think

The one you mention, as well as only having 4 gig memory is also just a Pentium processer and likely to have integrated graphicsrather than a separate card. If you are thinking of running CC then you will need 8 gig memory and at least an intel i5 processor - anything less then CC will struggle

this would be a better bet

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Alternately, if you don't want to build yourself but would like to specify what parts you'd like, companies like Scan & Overclockers will let you spec a system and build it for you....
            Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Was just looking again at that CCL at £409, and the price went up by £30 . Was seriously considering that too. Will have to keep saving I guess. Oh well

Comment

Hello again! I have specd. a PC based on this CCL as suggested by Stephen earlier. I've upgraded the memory and the HD. Does this look like a decent spec to you? Should I add/change anything before buying?

Cheers,
                Garry

Inwin Z638 Micro ATX Screwless Black Case x 1
                ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps PCI-E Wireless card, x 1
                Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 LP Vengeance Memory 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Kit x 1
                CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive x 1
                CCL Choice 450W 80+ High Efficiency PSU x 1
                3 Year Collect & Return warranty x 1
                Seagate (2TB) 3.5 inch Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drive 6Gb/s SATA 64MB (7200rpm) 8GB MLC NAND Flash (Internal) x 1
                Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H S1150 B85 MATX VGA+SND+GLN+U3 SATA 6GB/S DDR3 IN x 1
                Intel 4th Generation Core i5 (4460) 3.2GHz Quad Core Processor 6MB L3 Cache (Boxed) x 1
                MSI NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 2GB Graphics Card x 1

Comment

I would say that it is going to cope well. I'm not a computer expert though
                  1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                  Facebook
                  www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Paul. Don't want to buy something that will frustrate me, equally don't want to overspec and waste money!
                    Cheers,
                    Garry

Comment

Working...
                    X