External HD Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External HD Help please

I bought a 3tb seagate expansion drive a while back with the intention of using it as a backup drive. I already run a 2 tb as a primary backup, and wanted a second backup drive. Anyway, I intended to partition this drive into 3 seperate areas, photos, music and documents.

I started to partition it and changed my mind on the partition size, thinking I would expand the photo one, and shrink the documents one. Well, it didn't work, and now I am left with a drive that has only 2tb usable space, from what I can work out. And the name has changed to "Local Disc". Here is a screenshot of the disc manager to let you see.
    Capture.JPG
    Windows asked me to format the disc before I could use it, and that's when everything went belly up. Is there anyway to reset it back to the full single area, with no partitions? Or have I rendered this drive as good as useless??

Help as always appreciated,

Cheers,
    Garry
    Last edited by digiman; 02-05-2015, 17:24.
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: External HD Help please

What version of Windows are you using Gary? If you have Win7 have a read of this
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

You should just be able to grow it in Windows, if not then there are some free Partition managers (Paragon comes to mind) or use the GParted bootable CD (http://gparted.org/livecd.php).

Comment

You need to format it as a GPT partition for it to be recognised to the full capacity
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.

I downloaded this program called Partition Wizard through which I was able to resize the partition to gain the full capacity on the disc. All these abreviations in computing confuse me no end. It's a bit scary not understanding computers when it comes to this stuff. People say google is your friend, but, you need to know what to ask google in the first place!!

Thanks all again, and I am not sure I am completely out of the woods just yet!

Cheers,
          Garry
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Glad you got that hurdle over with.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment