Clear All

Re: Help! Computer has crashed!

Good to hear that all is now well Nat.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Thanks for identifying PSU. This is the first time in my life that I have had to replace a PSU and I have never suffered from this before. I had also switched off my computer before I went away and was surprised to find that I couldn't start it on my return. Do you advise me to install a power surge protector? I know that I used to plug my electric lawnmower into one of these surge protectors before I started mowing my lawn.
      Your lawn mower was probably plugged into a RCB ( to protect you against accidental electrocution) - what you need is a UPS ( un-interruptable power supply device which will also have power surge protection) - you can buy them from most computer hardware shops.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Do you advise me to install a power surge protector?
        considering how cheap they are, yes, you were lucky this time next you blow the board...

I even have surge protector for my tv system its a lot cheaper than buying a new one
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Nat get a surge protector, lightening can strike in the same place twice, not expensive (or pull the plug out).
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
            Nat get a surge protector, lightening can strike in the same place twice, not expensive (or pull the plug out).
            Not sure if you meant that literally or not but I don't think there is anything you can buy that will stop a direct lightening strike from taking out whatever is connected. I speak from experience when this happened to us in Brisbane and we had to replace : roof panel which had taken the hit with me sitting about 8 feet below it (don't ask), electric gate motor, tv antenna, phone, PC, modem, some circuitry in my guitar amp, tv, light bulb fixtures which were blown out of the ceiling, alarm system ... luckily all covered by our home insurance. I asked about lightening protection and after the guy stopped laughing the answer was simply to disconnect when there was a big storm overhead. Considering this was almost a daily occurrence at certain times of the year we never really followed this completely but even back in the UK now I disconnect hifi/iMac if we are away for any length of time.
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Thanks folks for all your good advice. I will certainly call round the shops and get atleast 3 surge protectors- for the computer , for my Hi Fi/TV and one for the Keyboard! James, you are quite right, I did plug my lawnmower into an RCB and not a surge protector.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
              X