Storage transfer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage transfer Question

I can hear some of you laughing already at this question.... but here goes!

I want to upgrade my computer. I have lots of stuff on external drives. If I was to buy a Mac, would I still be able to read all my backed up files from my PC? I am guessing yes for my CR2, jpegs etc, but what about word, excel and other MS based files? And, when I download Lightroom, will all my edits still be able to be read?

I am pretty sure I will have no problems, but want to check for what to be aware of.

Thanks,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Storage transfer Question

Hi

The answer is 'mostly' yes!

Photo apps (LR / PS etc.) should all work, as the main ones all read the CR2 files, but you may have to ensure you have the most up to date codecs. Previous saves should all be present, as these are stored along-side/within your CR2 file, I believe.

Word / Excel / Powerpoint files have equivalent apps on a MAC... Pages / Numbers / Key Note... the MAC versions should read your saved MS docs OK, but may substitute font etc if needed. Some of the formatting may need a tweek, but I've managed with no problems.
    The MAC apps will allow you to save as the MS equivalent file types.

I made the move from PC to iMac 3 years ago and have had no problems.

Good luck! Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Cheers Mike. I kind of assumed all would work well going this way. Not so sure going from MAC to PC would be quite so easy! Still weighing up the options.

Cheers,
      Garry

Comment

I moved from PC to mac years ago, its pretty seamless on the most part.
        I initially tried using the Apple office package, but various formatting issues made me move to Microsoft Office for Mac which ensured compatibility with all users and files.
        Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy for your sharing experience,

Garry

Comment

Working...
          X