iMac problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac problems

I have a late 2013 27" iMac which is causing me real grief at the moment, something which I've never had with my last iMac!
    I'm getting assorts of login in issues & the dreaded spinning ball! At times the only thing I can do is to switch off via power button & then restart which seems to love the problems but if it goes in to sleep mode I often experience issues again. Well I contacted Apple care & tried various things which din't solve it until finally had to reinstall the OSX after a complete disc erase! I have been running it now for a week with no software and still getting some of the problems so its off to the Apple store tomorrow to see if it can be sorted at least I know its not my software causing problems but seems to be a hardware problem, could be the wifi or even the logic board after issues last summer as well.

Does anyone with a mac have problems with their machine?

Sue

Re: iMac problems

what iOS are you using ? have you run virus check or malware checks ? whilst I know Macs are safer than PC a lot more twats are starting to turn there attention to Macs and I had a couple of issues last week till I cleaned them up
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Hi Sue,
      I have the same iMac and running El Capitan. Before xmas I started getting issues with the spinning ball etc. I also started having issues with some images not displaying properly ie no picture just an image full of lines and when I inserted a memory card into the slot at the back it sometimes wouldn't be recognised. I phoned Apple Support and they ran a few tests like resetting the RAM but this didn't do anything so they said to book it into the Genius Bar. Fortunately Milton Keynes store is local for me so I took it the next day. They ran the tests but couldn't determine the exact cause so they put a new Logic board in which consists of the card reader/graphics card etc. Since then I have had no problem whatsoever. I do get the odd spinning ball but that is when I am editing a large file in PS etc. I have 16G of RAM installed.
      One thing i am glad of is taking out the extra Apple Care as the Logic Board is £360 to replace.

I hope this is of some help.

Adrian

Comment

Ian, from what we have tried so far it doesn't seem to be software, I am running El Capitan and have been having problems for 12 months of various types even then with Yosemite. Numerous calls last summer with Apple senior advisors who then felt it was the main board but couldn' determine anything definite. Worst of intermittent issues but they are getting very frequent now.

Comment

I've heard so many have problems with El Capitan & Yosemite I've held back upgrading as this isn't a play Mac I use it for work everyday - I do think Mac have made some very bad iOS updates over the last 2 years !

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

The people at Apple found out what my problem was - I was using a second monitor for Bridge and the main iMac monitor for PS. They asked me to reset some items in preferences and bingo - it no longer crashes.
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

"iMac" and "problem". I didn't realise these words could coexist in the same phrase without the world coming to an end
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                "iMac" and "problem". I didn't realise these words could coexist in the same phrase without the world coming to an end
                agree..thankfully I've not, but I've also not hit the upgrade button for a few years

Comment

Took it in to the Apple Store and they are replacing the logic board and replacing the keyboard for me and are also going to run some tests on the hard drive due to problems from last Summer. So no computer till next week and hopefully everything will be fine. Using my iPad but that is getting very long in the tooth and needs to be replaced soon.
                  Sue

Comment

They rang today to tell me it is ready for collecting! Apparently it was the motherboard causing kernel panics which has affected the wifi so hence issues with the keyboard, mouse & trackpad. Just hoping it will be fine now, thank goodness I took out Apple Care.

Sue

Comment

I got my iMac back and seems to be fine now after the motherboard was replaced. Very happy to have it back.

Sue

Comment

Glad its sorted.
                        My iMac is generally rock solid, lats year I replaced my old iMac when the video card started failing but other than that all updates apply easily and it generally just works.
                        Andy
                        Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Andy, my previous iMac was also rock solid! I had it for 7 years & my friend now has it & its still going. I only changed due to it being a bit short of memory which I'd already maxed on.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X