Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptops

What budget options are we using for lightroom? I haven't had a laptop for years but recently have been using my daughters netbook which is painfully slow. I've figured out that I can compress my images enough to upload remotely for viewing directly from my events but I need to process them faster than the netbook can manage as it takes half an hour to export 100 shots and about 90 seconds to upload by 3g.
    As per usual I'm being a cheapskate and don't actually want to spend any money at all, I've been looking at some older i5 business class machines like the dell e6410 and Lenovo t410. Just wondering what people are using and how they get on with them
    Paul

Re: Laptops

Generally processing power/storage isn't an issue with laptops. Real issue, particularly business machines, is that they tend to have low spec integrated graphics that will struggle with the kind demands of LR.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      Generally processing power/storage isn't an issue with laptops. Real issue, particularly business machines, is that they tend to have low spec integrated graphics that will struggle with the kind demands of LR.
      I know little about computers, but this is what I have found also. I just bought a HP with high spec processor and more than enough ram, but, the graphics is the weak link for sure.
      Garry Macdonald on Flickr
      Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

See if you can find a used Lenovo or Thinkpad laptop on the web and spend a bit more to add memory and disk. These are well used but pretty much bomb proof and used are very good value for money.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Photoshop CC runs fine on my i5 laptop - as said make sure you have a separate graphics card

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

result, found a dell e6410 locally for silly money, has the higher spec nvidia graphics and higher resolution option screen complete with an albeit small ssd. haven't got lightroom on it yet and might need a ram upgrade but it was so cheap it's sweet
            Paul

Comment

For memory crucial.com is your friend. You get an online checker and their prices are generally good.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Agree, Crucial are my go to company.
                Dave , France 79

Comment

What workflow do you use in the field? I've always kept my lightroom trickery to minimum out and about and just transfered everything when I get home and import into the main catalog. I think I'll probably keep it the same but I wondered if anybody has a catalog that they share between laptop and desktop?
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
                    What workflow do you use in the field? I've always kept my lightroom trickery to minimum out and about and just transfered everything when I get home and import into the main catalog. I think I'll probably keep it the same but I wondered if anybody has a catalog that they share between laptop and desktop?
                    Tend to work same as you as I like to edit on my desktop. Use laptop as a way of storing images whilst travelling especially when I'm taking lots.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If you can find a second hand 15 inch Macbook from before 2013 buy it and change the hard drive over to a SSD. Very easy to do. My one is the fastest laptop I've ever used now and I use it mainly for making time lapses and photography.

Loads of info on youtube.

Install SSD in MacBook Pro The Fast Way: Upgrade your Macbook - Follow these steps and get a serious speed upgrade. If you are looking for a way to get more ...

Comment

Working...
                      X