Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAPTOP CALIBRATION

Hi all
    I am interested to know if a laptop needs calibrating in the same way as a monitor. Also if a PC is the preferred way to edit or a laptop? also pros and cons?
    Regards Chester

Re: LAPTOP CALIBRATION

If you mean colour calibration then I think all monitors whether they be laptop screens or standalone monitors could do with calibration. I'm no expert but am led to believe that Apple screens tend to be better calibrated for photography than others generally are. But that's the extent of my knowledge.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I ended up buying a monitor to use on my laptop, for editing, far more accurate representation than the laptop screen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

I am by no means an expert , and sure I will be corrected , but from what I have been led to believe , you would need to have your laptop open in the same place and at the same angle that you calibrated it at every time you done any photo enhancing to get the best from it . I think you would be better off plugging into a monitor that you can leave in the same place with a relatively constant light level falling on it if you want to use your Laptop . I think personally editing on a P.C is much easier and convenient , it`s well worth calibrating either way though .

Comment

Hi Chester,
          I got a colour calibrator last year for use on the PC I had at the time. This consists of software you load on the computer and a box that reads colours. There is a two stage process, the first stage calibrates the colours that the monitor produces, for the second stage the software prints colour charts from your printer and the box reads the actual colours printed to generate a colour correction file. This colour chart is only printed on A4 paper and you need to repeat this exercise for each paper type you use. Hope this helps!

Ian
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

At a Camera Club meeting we were advised that if we didn’t want to go down the calibration route to:
            1. Set the brightness of the screen to approximately 2/3.
            2. Have the screen at a right angle to your eyes..... simply place the empty tube from inside a toilet roll round end against the screen and look down it. If it is symmetrical all round, you are at 90 degrees!
            This usually works for me, but visitors wonder why I keep an empty toilet roll tube on my desk!
            Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
            http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!
              So if a new monitor is connected to a laptop, is it via a hdmi cable?

Comment

Depends on the resolution of your monitor and what connections you have on your laptop, HDMI is I believe limited to 1980 others on here will have more ideas for you I'm sure

Alan

Comment

All monitors are not created equal and no amount of calibration can fix this. Calibration will only give you the best result that the monitor is capable of. My main monitor (Benq SW271) is capable of reproducing 100% of sRGB Gamut and 99% of the Adobe RGB Gamut. My laptop can only reproduce 78% of sRGB and I have never checked it for Adobe RGB. My old Samsung monitor can achieve 92% of sRGB and 76% Adobe RGB. So where does that lead us? You get what you pay for with monitors. My monitor cost over£1,000 and the calibration device £200+, I considered it worth the money to get the best results. Irrespective of the quality of your monitor you should calibrate it and also use the correct print profile for your printer/paper combination and use manufacturers inks.
                  Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 12-09-2018, 02:10.
                  Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I have always calibrated my monitors, and currently use the Datacolour Spyder 5 Pro system.

However, it is only valid for what I see, and print, as it is likely that the vast majority of monitors on which other people view my images, will not be calibrated.

Pretty much all monitors as supplied, are set too bright, and saturated, as that's what the manufacturers believe 'joe public' likes to see.
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X