New iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New iMac

I needed a new iMac. Nothing particularly wrong with my Jan 2008 model, except that it is no longer supported with OS upgrades, but there is a time for all things and that time was now.

Easy enough: get on the Mac site and spec up what I wanted. Then it goes and spoils it all by telling you the price! Thought I would chance it anyway, so I mentioned it in passing to Mrs C ............ as you do and I got the look!!! I swear I could see the snakes moving and I was starting to feel a little stone-like, so I backed off. I went back to the Tinternet and de-speced the iMac to a more acceptable price. Whilst it may have been a better price, I would have ended up with a computer that I just didn't want, so there was nothing for it but to brave Mrs C again. I told her that's what I needed, I could afford it and quite frankly, at my age I shouldn't have to compromise! Ok she said. You can order it once you have fully decorated the office.

Just waiting for the new carpet to be laid next Tuesday, iMac coming on Wednesday. Here is a Photoshop impression of the decorated office, I'll take some actual photo's once all is complete.

Office 1 by Colin Cross, on Flickr
    Colin

Re: New iMac

So what was the total cost for this new iMac? Like the color scheme.

Tom

Comment

£3,179 Tom.
      Colin

Comment

gotta love new toys.....AND you can't take it with you, although I have put in my will that the MacBook comes with me, just hope I get a decent wifi down there

enjoy filling the new toy up :)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Just checked the same spec on the USA site and the cost was $3,299.

At todays exchange rate of 1.39, that should make my iMac £2,373. Looks like I paid rather too much.
          Colin

Comment

About the same price range as mine Colin ,and the same reasoning no pockets in a shroud m8. ,don’t think m6 room will ever look that tidy though to many camera bags lying around

Comment

Well you had good value out of the last one....you would have had 3 or 4 windows machines in that time. Only the cost a semi pro body adds perspective and your computer must be worth as much to you...

...maybe I’m just rehearsing my arguments when I want to replace my 2011 model !
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Like the color scheme.
                I decided to be manly and chose my own colours. Scary thing for a man ............... choosing colours!
                Colin

Comment

spec on mine is
                  27 inch i.mac
                  processor g5 intel i7
                  memory 16gb DDR3
                  graphics nvidia geoforce gtx
                  hard drive 500g SSD

blisteringly fast loads 500 raw files to Lightroom in 2 or 3 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    spec on mine is
                    27 inch i.mac
                    processor g5 intel i7
                    memory 16gb DDR3
                    graphics nvidia geoforce gtx
                    hard drive 500g SSD

blisteringly fast loads 500 raw files to Lightroom in 2 or 3 minutes
                    My old one was:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 2-1.29.49 pm.jpg

My new one is:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 2.29.17 pm.jpg

I going to upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32GB using crucial RAM @ £160, compared to Mac @ £540.

I should think that little lot will cope with all I need for a long while.
                    Colin

Comment

it out specs mine Colin so I would hazard a guess your right .super fast processing here we come

Comment

it out specs mine Colin
                        Only just Jeff.
                        Colin

Comment

It's arrived.

Ripped open the box, plugged it in and got going. It offered Migration Assistant to move my files and programs to the new iMac. Lovely, saves me lots of effort. It took four and a half flippin hours via bluetooth. I should have thought that one through and cabled it for a much quicker response, but hey, it's done.

After completion it did a restart and invited me to login. ??? I don't login, don't need to, waste of time. But she wasn't having any of it: Login or you don't get to play! Definitely the Mrs C of the Mac world. OK, i'll do it your way and logged in with my admin password .......... not accepted! OK, i'll use my Apple ID password ............. not accepted! Tried a few more options and nothing is acceptable. I could only use the iMac as a Guest User and couldn't get access to any of my files. Now I am getting the hump and even that stalwart of not taking any nonsense, Mrs C, is keeping out of the way. Getting close to the stage of a refund to my credit card and Apple can pick the damned thing up.

Decide to take the standard British response to all of life's problems, a nice cup of tea. Booked a timed call from Apple Support and they phoned me at the agreed time and walked me through re-setting my password. All problems solved. Apparently, on a new operating system, I have to login before I can activate automatic Login and without a password in the system, it wouldn't do anything.

Happy bunny now and most thankful for Apple Support. First impressions? Quicker than a very, very quick thing and amazing 5K graphics. Looking forward to having a go with Photoshop.
                          Colin

Comment

Phew!...all's well in the end.....I must admit it puts me off buying a new PC....a bitter sweet experience!
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

A little angel with the most beautiful soft Irish accent came to the rescue. All sorted within a couple of minutes.
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X