New iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New iMac

Congratulations on your new iMac Colin, I’ve been tempted to go across from a PC but every time I consider it I chicken out. But the bonus of the potential of speaking with an angel has whetted my appetite [emoji6]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Nice one Colin .my lads been having problems with photo sharpness with the retina screen I will cut and paste his thoughts and ideas when I get on mine a bit later .just in case. heres what he has written I haven't got a clue what he is on about but it might help you Colin
      .................................................. .........................................

This is a tip for all Retina Mac using Photographers out there. I've struggled for a while since getting my 5K iMac with many photo sharing sites especially Flickr, photo blogs and even facebook not displaying images sharply even ones that allow for larger images that are sized big enough to display great on these displays. It's especially a problem with images uploaded at low resolutions such as 1024 pixels wide as is common with many wildlife photographers to protect images. The solution is simple under view in safari click zoom out (there's shortcut keys). For my display if I zoom out 3 times Flickr will display images at the correct 100% scale. Yes 1024pixel images will be very small but they'll be sharp. 2048px images will look as big as 1024px images look on a standard screen of the size your using. an easy way to see if they are displaying at 100% is to measure the image width using CMD+Shift+4 which is for windowed screenshot and use the pixel measure that appears to measure the width of the image, it should be 512px width on the display if it's a 1024 image. Hope that all makes sense. Also if your opening your own images on the desktop and there soft. Open preview go to preferences then on the last tab (PDF) the top option define 100% scale should be the second option size on screen equals size on print out. And images will open 1:1 but obviously smaller. Hope this helps some of you out there, please share if it does.
      Last edited by the black fox; 15-03-2018, 08:28.

Comment

All very interesting, had a look at Jeffs last post Head On Shorteared Owl and using the keyboard shortcut found that
        Flikr. 1321 x 772
        EOS Forum. 1408 x 881
        Don't know what to do with this info, perhaps Colin will understand more than me

Alan

Comment

which is strange considering it was uploaded at 1024 on longest edge ??

Comment

I have had the stopwatch out.

From switching on to full availability:

145 secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Hard Drive
            39secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Solid State Drive
            19secs New iMac running High Sierra and 1Tb Solid State Drive

Photoshop - from clicking on the icon to full availability:

125 secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Hard Drive
            19secs Old iMac running El Capitan and 1Tb Solid State Drive
            3secs New iMac running High Sierra and 1Tb Solid State Drive
            Colin

Comment

good init .couldnt do a check as my old one died but this is faaaaaaaast

Comment

A new computer is a wonderful thing. With my new laptop last year I went from taking 90 seconds to process a single RAW file in DPP to about 12 secs. It's a similar spec to your iMac, excluding the screen of course!
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  good init .couldnt do a check as my old one died but this is faaaaaaaast
                  The only reason I had timings for the old iMac was because I changed an HD to an SSD, so I timed various functions before and after the SSD was fitted.

I nearly got caught out timing the new iMac. I expected Photoshop to load in around 10 seconds, but it did it in three. In fact it may have been a bit sooner as I was a bit surprised how quick it loaded and I didn't press the stop button quick enough.

Next job is to upgrade the RAM. I ordered it with 16GB, two sticks of 8GB DDR4. With four RAM slots available, I could have ordered another two sticks of 8GB, giving 32GB in total, but that would have added another £540 to the price. If I get the RAM from Crucial, two times 8GB will cost me £166.

My previous iMac had 4GB DDR2 and originally came with 2GB and was only designed for a maximum of 4GB.
                  Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X