EOS 90D, EOS Utility & Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 90D, EOS Utility & Windows 10

I have recently acquired a EOS90D. I have updated the firmware to 1.1.1 and downloaded the latest EOS Utility 3.12, which I had to do by SD card method. I'm using Windows 10.
    I open EOS Utility, connect camera via USB lead to my Desktop switch it on in 'P' mode (after disabling wi-fi and bluetooth) and Utility tells me 'Connect an EOS Camera'.
    I plug the 90D into a Laptop also running Windows 10 and again it fails to detect. I also have a copy of FastStone which has a download facility and that also sits as dead as a Dodo when I plug the camera in. It is therefore unlikely to be a EOS issue more likely a Windows 10 issue failing to detect the camera. Everything worked on my old 650D. What I have also determined is that with the USB lead plugged in to the 90D all menu options are frozen and I have no idea if that's normal or not. Any suggestions (apart from go buy a Mac) appreciated.

This may be a daft question, but are you using the usb lead which came with the camera (i.e. a Canon one)?
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Very long way from a daft question John - however the 90D doesn't come with a supplied USB lead, something else Canon have cut back on like the CD-ROM with the manual on it! It had crossed my mind because this is the first Canon I've ever owned with a Micro B USB, all the others I have owned like all my card readers have the mini 5 pin. I have a cable (from where I cannot recall) and I am going to visit WEX my retailer to see if they can test the camera on a Mac to negate Windows issues. Maybe they can try a Canon lead on it.
      Thank you.

Comment

This issue has now been resolved: The 90D can only be connected to a computer (and EOS Utility) by the use of Canon USB cable IFC-600PCU. No other cable will work. The only source I have found for this is the Canon online Store. Also you must disable wi-fi downloading before connecting the cable.
        sceneitsnappedit

Comment

£22.99 for a cable is a dead liberty, but I suppose Canon needs to make up for the huge drop in Camera sales.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Hi,
            I have exactly the same issue with my newly acquired eos 850d and I have the correct canon cable, just trying to get a shutter count. I might have it wrong, it connects via the EOS utility but not via EOSinfo. Sorry this is all new to me.

Comment

Working...
            X