Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what second camera should i buy

hi,
    i currently have a canon 7d and i'm looking for a second camera thats smaller for those times when a big camera is just too much, i've been looking at the canon g15 and g1x but i'm just wondering if theres something else similar to those thats better and that has all the manual controls like the canon 7d....

thanks
    richard
    Cameras: Canon EOS 7D
    Lenses: Canon 17-40mm L f4, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L MK2 IS USM, Canon 60mm Macro f2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6, Lensbaby Muse + Double Glass Lens, Canon 1.4x Extender MK2

Re: what second camera should i buy

Well I for one would have to recommend the EOS M as a 2nd body. With the adapter you can use the lens you use with the 7D. If you wait till the Fall the new M should be out with a faster AF, but other then some quirks with the AF it is a solid a camera. I even dropped mine, watched the decorative ring from the lens separate, stuck it back on, and except for a little dent on the lens it works like a champ. That happened a few months back.

Tom

Comment

I would go for a 40D
      ef-r

Comment

I have a Fuji X10 and have just bought a Fuji X100, great cameras both, the IQ from the X100 is amazing.
        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

The G's are good (I still use a G10). Some might say (and they are probably right) the Sony RX100 (same money as G's). The EOS-100D when it comes out. The EOS-M (and if the rumour is correct it's upmarket brother due in 201x). There are probably Panasonic m43's that are worth evaluating.

This is something I'm looking at as my G10 needs updating (well that's what I say to SWMBO).

Comment

Judging by Toms results I would go for the 'M'.......but the 40D is good (great shout Brian)

Comment

The 40D is cheep and also goes at 6.5 fps. It takes all the same extras as the 7D including lens, flash guns, filters etc, so the total be about £300.
              ef-r

Comment

... and it's built like a tank ... and even though mine is 5.5 years old the results are still more than acceptable. It's been used in some dire weather and really not treated as one should perhaps treat a DSLR.

Comment

I know the hammering that MX5 gives to his 40D and it is truly built like a tank. However,for a second,light weight camera I'd suggest a Canon compact in the G series- perhaps the G15.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

If you want a compact rather than a DSLR have a look at the Lumix TZ30 just about to be replaced by the TZ40 gives excellent results but isn't a Canon. It does have full manual as well as auto,
                    --
                    Colin
                    http://fotos-espana.com
                    http://macameraclub.com
                    http://turnspain.com

Comment

I have a Fuji bridge camera, but at times even this is too bulky to push into a pocket so I bought a Canon Powershot from Ebay. Small enough to push into a pocket and not so expensive that I'd freak if I lost/dropped it.

I think its a case of thinking of what you would really use the camera for and not only what for, but how much you will use it as well. imho.

I took my footprints in the snow and shopping trip photo's with my powershot. http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...996#post136996
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

My G15 arrives next week to keep my 5d3 company, I'll let you know how it is.
                        I bought it for a back up for weddings as it has a very fast lens and can accomodate my canon flashes and flash triggers.
                        The 40D and Eos-m are nice but you still have to fiddle with lenses. Some somebody in the game reserve with one and a large lens, didn't look to easy to handle.
                        Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                          I think its a case of thinking of what you would really use the camera for and not only what for, but how much you will use it as well. imho.
                          Actually very observant ... and realizing there is no single 'do it all' camera (otherwise we would all be using Panasonic FZ200's ).

Comment

I'm a big fan of getting a decent sized sensor (so it's okay in lower light levels or if you want a fast shutter speed) and decent AF.

Historically this was a micro-four-thirds camera but now I've nudged my m43 kit into a new "compact with longer lens" category and have a RX100 as my super-pocketable camera. (BTW the m43 70-200 f2.8 equivalent lens, which I have, weighs 360g vs. 1490g for my Canon one.)

The plusses for the RX100 are great photo quality (higher dynamic range at low ISO than a 1Dx, 5DmkIII or 6D), great video quality (use the 28Mb/s 1080p mode), very small and well built. The minuses are no viewfinder and limited zoom range (although with 20MP, and good quality pixels at that, you could arguably double the zoom range by cropping to a 5MP pic).

I'm not a fan of the teeny sensor cameras, but in good light something like a Panasonic TZxx (I think they are up to 40 now, camera name inflation huh) can take pics you can blow up to a huge degree (my sister has a TZ30 and has a wonderful beach pic she took that's maybe 30" wide and looks great).

BTW you can get a Nikon V1 with the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses (both very sharp) for about £449 now (£399 if you don't mind it in red), which is quite a deal. It has a nice EVF, amazing AF and you get 10fps with AF and up to 60fps full-resolution bursts. The sensor isn't up to the RX100 though, by a margin.

I'm not personally a fan of the EOS-M due to the slow AF, no viewfinder and a sensor that doesn't excite me - you need larger lenses as is APS sized but still Canon's "old" technology so not that good for the size (it is only ahead of the RX100 at high ISO, at low ISO it's some way behind).

Others to consider:
                            *Fuji XE-1 - stunning picture quality but AF isn't great (better than EOS-M, but you'll still miss pics). Great to handle (actually better than that). Great quality kit zoom (think 24-105L). I want one, but the year's camera budget (maybe some of next year's too) went on a GH3 and the two panny f2.8 zooms plus the Canon 40/2.8.
                            *Olympus OMD E-M5 - super-fast AF and with a compact lens attached is quite small
                            *Fuji X100S - small and classy, but single focal length
                            *Sony NEX6 with the collapsible 16-50 lens. Although the E-mount lenses mostly don't grab me for quality or size, also menus much less good than the RX100 (which gets the DSLR type, the NEX get the consumer ones).

Actually if you want manual controls that's another vote for the X-E1...
                            Fujifilm X-E1 review, find out how the X-E1 stacks up against the competition in our real-world review with in-depth image quality comparisons.
                            Last edited by DrJon; 28-03-2013, 10:25.

Comment

On face value I quite fancy the new Eos 100D

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X