Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Lantern on a 5D3?

Hello there. A question if I may.

Has anyone on here used the Magic Lantern software on a 5D3? I keep hearing a lot about it and how useful it is. Unfortunately I've never actually seen a camera with it installed! Does anyone here use it, or know of it?

I've read the promo blurb, which is as useful as the manual that comes with the camera. It tells me what everything does, but not how it works in practice. I believe there is a separate menu, but is this in addition to the normal menu, or does it override it? If it is in addition how easy is it to switch between the two?

I understand that it is not officially approved but it doesn't apparently overwrite any hardware or software so shouldn't cause too many problems.

I believe it was originally developed to assist video taking, but as I don't do much of this is there any real benefit for stills pictures.

I understand that it stays on the memroy card and isn't loaded into the camera software, but what happens when I format my card after downloading my images? Is it wiped off and then needs to be re-installed which would be too much hassle for me?

I'm sorry for a lot of questions, but this seems to be a bit of software that is well spoken of, but always by someone who hasn't used it!!!

If there is anyone on here who could give a clear run down of how this works in practice I'd be very grateful.

I hope you can help,

Kind regards

Sara W.
Working...
X