Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1DX mk 3

looks interesting

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: 1DX mk 3

Sounds like it will be a great camera!
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Well, I signed up with Canon as "Interested" and have only been sent teaser info so far. Everything looks good as far as lock on and tracking is concerned. New Digic 9 processors, better high ISO tolerance, better dynamic range and much faster all round. AF tacking sensor has 28 times more resolution. All looking rather good.

But :
      • Full frame sensor is rumoured to be 20.2MP ................ seems a tad lightweight for a high end camera.
      • Will use CFExpress cards. Amazing spec and super fast, but for me it means yet another card reader, as I already use CF Cards and CFast Cards.

It is rumoured that my Pro Shop will have a Canon Day with a pre-production MKIII in January, so I may pop along and ask some questions then.
      Colin

Comment

Bugger, not long since got the Mk11, will I have to sell my house to buy it I wonder!

Paul

Comment

That's life Paul, the MK two came out 2 years after I got the one
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Still not worked out half of what my 1D iv can do let alone this...……………......
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Pro canons have always been light in the pixel dept Colin, but have always made up the advantage in how they process them, trouble is most pro users will be shooting for papers and magazines which in all reality going by the layout and formats used mean a high pixel count is negated.

Comment

Official announcement tomorrow, Monday 6th January. Bound to be a couple of surprises, but here is what has been leaked so far:

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Highlights:
                • 20.1mp
                • 16fps Mechanical
                • 20fps in Liveview
                • ISO 100-102,400 (extends up to 819,200)
                • Dual CFexpress card slots
                • 4K 60p with 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log (No DPAF in 4K 50p/60p recording)
                • 5.4K RAW internal video recording (No DPAF in RAW)
                • No crop in 4K or RAW video recording
                • RAW Buffer: 1000+
                • RAW + JPEG Large buffer: 1000+
                • RAW + HEIF Large buffer: approx. 350
                • $6499 USD
                • Announcement January 6, 2020 (EST)
                • Preorder the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
                Colin

Comment

If that’s accurate it looks like they put the kitchen sink in as well as everything else. If anyone goes down that route, be prepared for that eye-watering moment when you see the price of CF Express cards compared to SD...

The other specs are interesting but does anyone generally use a 1 series model for video? Those specs look way better than the lower end models which I guess is going to annoy some people...
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

CFast cards were expensive for the 1D MKII, but if you pre-ordered you got a 64GB CFast card for free.

It would appear that CFast didn't really catch on, bit like the battle between VHS and Betamax probably. I have done a little research and it appears that CFast didn't have much development left in it, whereas CFexpress is just at the start of it's development and there are many more devices signed up to CFexpress.

I am more comfortable that there are two CFexpress slots. In the MKII, there was one slot for CFast and one for a CF card.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      CFast cards were expensive for the 1D MKII, but if you pre-ordered you got a 64GB CFast card for free.

It would appear that CFast didn't really catch on, bit like the battle between VHS and Betamax probably. I have done a little research and it appears that CFast didn't have much development left in it, whereas CFexpress is just at the start of it's development and there are many more devices signed up to CFexpress.

I am more comfortable that there are two CFexpress slots. In the MKII, there was one slot for CFast and one for a CF card.
                      Aye, CF Express seems to have a lot more behind it and Nikon have added compatibility for their Z series which shipped with XQD only - they're physically the same...

I never understood two different cards though, particularly when the second card is slower than the first - it sort of defeats the object of having two cards.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                        I never understood two different cards though, particularly when the second card is slower than the first - it sort of defeats the object of having two cards.
                        I can only assume that Canon's thinking was that the market that the 1DX MKII was aimed at would have plenty of CF cards and to stop them being redundant, fitted one slot for CF cards and one slot for CFast cards. In practice, the performance of Fast cards was far superior to the CF card and I only ever used the CF card as a back up if I filled the CFast card.

Colin

Comment

Well, it's here. Not quite, but Canon have launched it.

Most of the the rumours were right, but the Digic X processor and deep learning algorithms for focusing were kept to themselves.
                          Colin

Comment

Bit of an update. I have been invited to a one to two familiarisation and training session on the 1DX MKIII on Wednesday 15th January. I have used a 1 series body since the days of film and such has been the evolution of the series, felt instantly at home when I changed and it didn't take long to be familiar with any changes/advances. So, with that in mind I am intrigued why Canon think this is beneficial and why in such small groups?

It is either clever marketing, or a very useful exercise. Either way, I am going to go for it and get to play it and have booked the day off work. Also unusual, when Canon announce a new model with an expected release date, it inevitably slips. So the 1DX MKIII was due for release in March and on past performance, I would expect to see one at the very end of March, or more likely April. Apparently, they intend to make first shipments in February. Even more intrigued.

Looking forward to Wednesday.
                            Colin

Comment

Working...
                            X