Shooting for HDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting for HDR

I think I convinced myself this week, after some test shots, that shooting three separate exposures in-camera makes a better HDR than so-called HDR from a single RAW.

I was always put off though because I thought you had to press the shutter three times, and have now discovered that you don't. My 50D and 5D both take the three shots in rapid succession on self-timer when exposure compensation bracketing has been set (you can tell how much I read manuals!). I can't get it to work though with mirror lock-up (you have to press the shutter three times), but.... when on auto timer and no mirror-lock up I think it may be locking the mirror anyway - the sequence of clicks seems to suggest that. Does any one know if this is correct?

Three shots fired indoors all completed within a second, it would be quicker in better light, which should remove most problems of movement between shots. On manual shutter press it took 6 seconds.

Any one use any other method for HDR?
    Last edited by carregwen; 31-08-2009, 05:35.

Re: Shooting for HDR

When I have done mine on landscapes, I shoot three or five manual exposures Rob. Then let the software do the business.

Martin

Comment

Like Martin i take around 5 shots then use Photomatrix to HDR the image-will be a piece on our blog later this week on it

Dave

Comment

Hello Rob;

I believe that the answer to your question is that even when mirror lock-up is enabled, shooting will be in single-shot mode; even if the drive-mode is continuous...

So, you will take 3 seperate shots, with mirror lock-up triggered each time...

If you do so in rapid succession - as you intimated - you will not gain any benefit from using mirror lock-up, because you will not give the body time to settle after the "shock-wave" of locking up the mirror...

For better results - use a remote lead, rather than push the shutter-button each time...

And yes - 3 seperate shots will generate a much better HDR than a "faked" single-shot HDR will because you simply can't get the dynamic range out of a single shot!
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
        X