1Dx MKIII Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1Dx MKIII Training

I have had my training session. I must admit to a little scepticism beforehand, after all, I had been using 1 series bodies since the days of film so it shouldn't have been that difficult to change from the MKII to the MKIII. How hard could it be?

As it turned out how wrong could I be? This thing is totally new, rather than a re-vamp and although it works on broadly similar principles, everything is new and improved. Even better, the other chap due to share the training session with cried off, so I had a one to one session for an hour, dedicated to my type of photography. We even went outside to test lock on and tracking with the local flying pigeons. This thing is massively quick and the combined joystick and back button focus took a few minutes to get to grips with, but I was shortly instinctively using it to track and shift focus points as necessary. The AI deep learning facility quickly learns what you are focussing on and its performance improves the more you do it. There are more Case settings and even an auto setting - I don't do anything auto, but I thought I would give this a go and it was pretty good straight off the bat.

The anti-alias filter has changed to a semi anti alias for improved sharper images. I did question why they just didn't abandon it as per high end Nikons and his response was that under certain circumstances you still get the Moire effect with the Nikon system and although with low pixel count cameras it is relatively easy to overcome with post processing, with modern high end cameras with large pixel counts, it is much more difficult, hence the Canon solution.

Very very fast at everything, which is why they haven't upped the pixel count, but it is a brand new sensor with higher quality, better high ISO performance and a wider dynamic range. One interesting feature was a built in HDR facility .......... might give that a try.

I had a nigle with the MKII in that it used the then new CFast card and earlier buyers would get a card and card reader, but it didn't come with the camera. You had to claim it from Canon after purchase and it could take up to 28 days to arrive. The MKIII has two CF Express slots and one card and a card reader will be supplied by Canon, with a second card supplied by the dealer. I made the point quite strongly that it needs to be supplied with the camera, so buyers can start shooting straight away. They phoned Canon head office and it will come in the box. Yippee.

Finally, first shipments were going to be March 2020. Now first shipment will be February 2020.
    Colin

Sound like you had a good day. The comment re the AS filter seems a bit contradictory though - or do Canon now class 20.1 MP as high pixel count I wonder. My Z6 has a "slight" AA filter while the Z7 has none at all and I've seen no complaints of moire from Z7 users. Thats with 24mp in the Z6 compared to 45 in the Z7.

I have a feeling Canon are just a bit too conservative for their own good with this one - chuck everything at the camera but just too set in their ways to remove the AA filter :-)
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have a feeling Canon are just a bit too conservative for their own good with this one
      I think you may well be right on this one.

I had some very specific questions pre-prepared and the AS filter was one of them, as some other manufacturers have omitted them. They said that they had tested those cameras and in some circumstances, there was some evidence of Moire, hence they decision to go to a high samples "slight" AA filter.
      Colin

Comment

I have this feeling they have a massive test suite of shots they take, most of which are in a range of bizarre circumstances no photographer would consider, and one of them shows moire. So they stick with the filter.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

So they stick with the filter.
          I think you may well be right, but at least it is very minimal over the MKII.
          Colin

Comment

The 1Dx MkIII seems to be an incredible camera. I have already pre-ordered it, and now I am trying to shorten the time until it arrives with reading anything I can find about it. One thing that has caused a lot of interest and discussions is the Deep Learning feature. This is a very interesting topic, but it also seems to cause some confusion and misunderstandings.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            The AI deep learning facility quickly learns what you are focussing on and its performance improves the more you do it.
            This is not the case as far as I understand. The Deep Learning took place during programming of the AF system using input from thousands of images but it is now a closed process - the system does not learn any more. If it should learn anything new it would be in the form of a firmware update, not by daily use.

There is a good article about this at https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/f...autofocus-work where technical support manager for Canon Europe, Mike Burnhill explains what Deep Learning is and how it works in 1Dx MkIII.
            Svein Nedrehagen - svein@nedrehagen.net

Comment

The Deep Learning took place during programming of the AF system using input from thousands of images but it is now a closed process
              You are correct ............... sometimes I get confused!
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X