Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Eos R5 spec

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...ebruary-reveal

A set of eyebrow-raising specs have leaked for the Canon EOS R5 – Canon's next full-frame mirrorless camera, previously dubbed the Canon EOS RS, which will apparently begin shipping in July.

The leaks suggest a powerful system with a 45MP sensor, 5-axis in-body stabilization, up to 8 stops of stabilization when coupled with lens IS, 8K video at 30fps and 4K up to 120fps, and continuous shooting at 12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.

While any leaks should be taken with a pinch of salt, Canon Rumors – the original publisher of these specs – is standing firmly behind them. Some details have been corroborated; Canon Watch, for example, cites a source confirming the 45MP sensor. Other details would likely, if true, come with a bit of an asterisk beside them.

• Competition: Win a Canon EOS R, RF 24-70mm lens + EF adapter

We are dubious about the 8K video and 4K at 120fps, for example. However, it is possible that these are either limited in function (such as the 6K Burst seen in some Panasonic bodies, or a timelapse mode) or invoke a crop factor. We assume that the camera will record full-width 4K up to 30fps, like the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

And I'm guessing £3K +!

Comment

Be careful what you wish for. There are a few considerations to take into account prior to purchasing one of these mega pixel beasts as I found to my cost recently. I convinced myself I needed one and went ahead and bought the 5DSR. Big mistake on my part. First off they require a lot of RAM to function, a minimum of 32MB. Secondly, your keeper rate will drop a lot as things like camera shake are magnified and you will find yourself reaching for that tripod more often to get sharp snaps. I was fortunate in that, after explaining my situation to my dealer, he agreed to take the 5DSR back and for a small sum I was able to buy back my 5D Mk.3 that I had part exchanged in the first place. Do you need 45-50MP? If your make your living through photography and shoot on location or in a studio and require the utmost resolution for your clients, then yes. For the rest of us 20-24MP is more than adequate in most situations. I consider that I had a lucky escape. Regards, Ian W.

Comment

Plus, the high ISO performance suffers on those 'beasts' as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Paul View Post
          Be careful what you wish for. There are a few considerations to take into account prior to purchasing one of these mega pixel beasts as I found to my cost recently. I convinced myself I needed one and went ahead and bought the 5DSR. Big mistake on my part. First off they require a lot of RAM to function, a minimum of 32MB. Secondly, your keeper rate will drop a lot as things like camera shake are magnified and you will find yourself reaching for that tripod more often to get sharp snaps. I was fortunate in that, after explaining my situation to my dealer, he agreed to take the 5DSR back and for a small sum I was able to buy back my 5D Mk.3 that I had part exchanged in the first place. Do you need 45-50MP? If your make your living through photography and shoot on location or in a studio and require the utmost resolution for your clients, then yes. For the rest of us 20-24MP is more than adequate in most situations. I consider that I had a lucky escape. Regards, Ian W.
          Interesting experience. A thumbs up for the dealer!
          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Specs more or less confirmed

Revolutionary 8K video performance with unparalleled combined image stabilisation mirrorless camera.

It has 5x IBIS which is in body image stabilisation so with a lens stabilisation it can be up to 8x.

I am sorely tempted...
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I wonder if Canon will have a pre release body on display at the Photography Show next month.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Yes they will. Tempted as next body and keep 1DX

Comment

https://www.canon.co.uk/the-photogra...D%20OUT%20MORE

20% of entry too.

Introducing the game-changing EOS R5

Exciting news! The recently announced EOS R5, RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM lens and new extenders will be making an appearance at the show. Make sure you visit our stand to get your first glimpse at the new additions to the EOS R System.

Built on the revolutionary EOS R System and developed with customer feedback and market needs in mind, the EOS R5 features unrivalled specifications. Including high-speed, high-resolution, 8K video and unparalleled image stabilisation – allowing photographers and filmmakers to push creative boundaries harder and capture action better than ever before.
                  Last edited by TonyT; 18-02-2020, 13:20.

Comment

It will be interesting to find out how Canon have solved viewfinder blackout/image display delay during high speed continuous drive /focusing. I'm guessing it will take a lot of processor power. Perhaps they will use the Digic X from the 1DX 3 ? I wonder if the R will get a f/w upgrade in the future ? Here's hoping.

Comment

I'll certainly look forward to seeing this at the NEC. Not that I want to go back to a bigger and heavier body....the R suits my needs...just hoping the range of appropriately constructed non-L lenses is extended to balance better with the R body size. If they do that I think the system will gain traction in the enthusiast market and of course the new flagship body will make the system more attractive.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

getting better and better

Comment

I am amazed at this obsession with pixel count. I can only assume that people have started printing poster sized images. Personally I am satisfied with A3 and have bee printing that size ever since I got my original 6 mp 10D. I feel sorry for the mirriad professional photographers with their inferior £5,000 - £6,500 1DX MkIIs and MkIIIs with a paltry 20.2 mp, how on earth do they cope. The things that really matter are; Dynamic range, ISO performance, low noise, accurate fast auto focus. Image stabilisation is useful but I have managed without it for years but will admit it does make life easier.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X