M-Fn bar on the EOS R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-Fn bar on the EOS R

Most reviews that I've read and seen have criticised this feature as difficult to use....and that it's an un-welcome addition to traditional buttons and dials.

After several months of use I now find it a good feature - my set up is a tap on the left brings up the level, and on the right the histogram....and a swipe left or right zooms in and out of the image for critical manual focussing. I've set the lock button to disable the M-Fn bar but I've not needed to do that for some time...I think Ive got used to where the bar is now and don't hit it accidentally.

Some have used it for ISO setting but the swiping action is a bit in-precise....making use of the lens or adaptor control ring frees one of the the two dials on the body for ISO so the bar isn't needed for that....unless of course you use the standard adaptor.

I'm now only using two RF lenses with control rings and I think this has really brought the R and RF lens system into its own......so I think its the use of the lens control ring that enables the controls to be used to their fullest potential.

Just my thoughts!........................comments welcome of course.........
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

That is a good idea for the use of the bar, something I hadn’t thought of and provides an excellent solution for an issue I had. On my R I have remapped the normal magnify button function to direct focus screen switching, something I find useful for all the autofocus lenses I use but is irrelevant for the TS-E (which is manual only). I have now implemented a variation of your idea and it works fine, I don’t have to keep remapping the one button!. I have the level and colour channel histograms permanently on.

On playback I use the M-Fn left tap to set the Pic rating, the right tap to set protect and swipe to select next pic (while retaining any magnification set).

I only have the 35mm RF lense and the control ring is used to change the f stop.

The FV mode is the only one I ever use, never need to use anything else.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks for that, I’ve not set it up for playback before, so I’ll use your settings....good thinking....thanks!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Well I wish I'd thought of that. I eventually turned it off as I kept touching it and didn't miss it. The solution on the R5 is so much better.

Comment

Your setup, gives me some ideas for setting that bar up. Have never used it since getting the camera when it 1st was released.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X