Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R Series Mirrorless

I'm in a bit of a quandary.

A few weeks ago I went to an R5, R6 training session (one to one) with David Newton at my Canon Pro dealer. Brilliant session, I learn't a lot and got to play with the cameras and a full set of RF lenses.

I was already aware of some criticism of the system regarding high battery use, heat induced lock-up and electronic view finder lag, so I went at it like a good'n and tried to induce any of these problems. Battery use seems acceptable for a small size of battery, although obviously not as good as the brick used in a 1 series. I couldn't get any noticeable view finder lag with RF lenses and most EF lenses with the adapter, but there were a couple of EF lenses where it was just noticeable. So, for my shooting, no problems. However, I didn't commit at the time because I still had some thinking to do.

I have quite a large financial investment in my current system. A 1Dx MKIII and lenses from fisheye up to large telephoto, all L series. If I go for an R body, I will go for the EF-RF adapter to use some of my existing lenses, but inevitably, they will gradually change to the equivalent RF versions. I am also a tad disappointed that like for like RF lenses are around £1,000 more expensive than EF lenses.

It has been mentioned that Canon are not investing in R&D for any further EF lenses and all future investment will be in RF lenses. This does lead me towards an RF system and the longer I leave it, the less valuable my existing EF lenses will be.

I could just buy a mirrorless body with an adapter and dip my toe into mirrorless, or maximise the value of my existing kit and swap the lot. Thankfully, I don't see many photographic opportunities until the spring, so I have some time to play with.

I would appreciate other members thoughts, especially if you have already taken the plunge.
    Colin

Must admit Colin I been thinking about it , but not got into any 'hands on' with the system. I was thinking the other day do I need all this gear I got now. I'm one of these people much to the annoyance of the wife who never sells anything, just buys new, and shuts the old one away in the cupboard. Hence, I have numerous camera bodies, lens and other items from the past including 16mm filming and video gear. - some might be collector items. Such as my first Bolex and Arriflex 16mm camera's.
    Be interesting to hear what other opinions on the subject.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I changed all my EF (all L series) and 5D4 for the original R and RF24-105 L and RF70-200 L and I’ve not looked back...a much more compact system (the 70-200 is much smaller than the EF version), and IQ is at least as good. I’ve had success with action with the R but is limited unlike the R5. So I think there are lots of gains in the new system not least more resolution than the 1DX.
      when I had EF lenses they all worked perfectly with the R...even the EF50 f1.2L. I’d do it while the old system has good value.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I did consider the mirrorless camera last year when I came into a bit of money, but in the end I chose to get the 90D. I've had a couple of larger lenses, but rarely took them out. So I'm sticking to crop frame with predominantly EF-S lenses because I don't enjoy the weight of larger lenses. Most of the time I go out with my 18-135 and I'm happy with the quality of most of my photos.
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Canon will, of course, force the change as happened when the EOS system came about. The difference now as against then is that there are more high quality alternatives so some people, me included may well say goodbye to Canon in favour of the the competition. It's all down to marketing rather than technical necessity..
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Hello everyone

I have been without a camera for most of 2020.
            My dual WWT membership was not used.
            I was also scammed by someone on ebay who was selling some Canon camera gear, I lost £1000.

I am hoping to return with a mirrorless camera and lenses later this year.
            The prices do scare me though.

I am hoping to get either the R5 or R6 body and the RF 24-105mm f4L IS, RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS lenses to start which will give me full-frame range of 24mm to 500mm.
            That will cover my usual focal length ranges.

I will wait until this pandemic is under control though and assess my future accordingly.
            I will have to see what the future holds both financially and health wise.

Happy new year to you all.

Stephen
            Last edited by Hereford_EOS; 03-01-2021, 08:29.
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

May I add a word of caution to the R enthusiasm.
              Early in October I bought an R5 and when I asked for an adaptor to use my EF lenses I was told this would be supplied by Canon direct on application.
              So to use my new toy I also had to buy an RF 24 - 105 L IS lens.
              Early December and numerous e mails later still no adaptor and as I enjoy photographing birds I ordered an RF 100 - 500 lens
              January, more e mails later, still no adaptor or 100 - 500 lens!!
              If you decide to buy an R body I would strongly advise having all the bits you want before paying for it.
              Just another of life's frustrations!!

Comment

I changed by 5DIII for the R a while ago for a number of reasons, lighter, better low light performance, more versatile and better image transfer. The significant drop in the ability to take action pics was appreciated but for what I do, the 80D was deemed to be perfectly adequate as an alternative . I’m very happy with how the R has performed especially the much better focus peaking and manual focus indicators, they have been brilliant with the T&S lense. I find the new FV mode to is all I need to use and only rarely move away from it. I agree that it is not best for action, frame rate too slow and too long a lag on the viewfinder but that is not what it was intended for and that is fine for me. My experience of the R mount lenses is limited as I just have the 35mm f1.8 and that is good. I use my EF lenses and that work very well. I have looked at the new R’s but at the moment I’m happy to stay as I am as I cannot get out to take any pics and cannot justify the cost. As and when we get back to some sort of normality I might reconsider.

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

With ref to JayTee’s post above...maybe there are problems in the supply chain in general .....indicated by the R and RF lenses have increased in price since I bought mine....and HDEW list fewer RF lenses than usual.

I don't have any EF lenses ....but I do still have the adaptor.....let me know if you want it?
                  Last edited by @imagesBV; 03-01-2021, 16:12.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

BV that sounds like the best news I have had for months
                    I will send you a message - I hope!

Comment

I currently own a 1DX2 together with 24-70 mk2, 100-400 mk2 and other EF L lenses. My 1DX2 will obviously start to lose value more rapidly now like Colin says.
                      I love my 1DX2 but I also loved my test drive with the R and also owned a Panasonic GH5 for a couple of years and love mirrorless. It’s great having the optical viewfinder on the 1D and it is so robust but gets very heavy after a while. I would keep the 1DX2 if money wasn’t an issue but will need to sell it to part fund an R5 or fully fund an R6.
                      I have owned a 1Dmk2, 1Dmk4 and 1DXmk1 and keep thinking I will regret letting my 1DX2 go but am thinking it is the time to take the plunge. My wife has a 5D3 and 5D2 and she says she will never ever change them so I will be able to borrow her 5D3 until the R5 is readily available.
                      I would be interested to hear from anyone else with the same dilemma.

Comment

Persuade your wife to sell her 5Ds and ask her to take on your 1DXII...then buy your R5....I’d also consolidate lenses if you can and buy an RF24-70 f2
                        ....that’s my ‘out of the box thinking’ for today!
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

There is no way I can afford the R system equipment & will have to keep going with what I have into my old age ( as if 73 isn’t old age) . But everything is gearing towards them, even this magazine has a majority of R system articles than anything else. Progress I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                            There is no way I can afford the R system equipment & will have to keep going with what I have into my old age ( as if 73 isn’t old age) . But everything is gearing towards them, even this magazine has a majority of R system articles than anything else. Progress I suppose.
                            If you are referring to the January-March 2021 issue of EOS magazine, I can only find one R-system article, plus details of two new RF lenses. Only one R-system article in the previous issue, as well, though coverage of two new R cameras, four RF lenses and two RF Extenders.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

There are some less expensive lenses now...not L build but extremely good build quality...nicer than some of the EF-S lenses...the RP body is also good value. I think advantages of the R system are worth the investment...but it’s just a choice...the EF system is still as good a ever.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                              X