No announcement yet.

R Series Mirrorless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a great deal of thought, even though I am itching to make the jump to the R system, I have decided to wait. With the current lifestyle restrictions, It is unlikely I will be able to do any serious wildlife photography until at least the summer, so there is little point in switching now, just for the equipment to sit on the shelf for months.

Added to the mix is a heavily rumoured R1 to be announced this year and it makes sense to wait until the full specs of the R1 are available, to determine whether the R5, or R1 is the best solution for me. There is little point in going for an R5 now, only to trade it for an R1 in a matter of months and Mrs C certainly wouldn't sanction that double expenditure. Having been wedded to a 1 series body for more years than I can remember, I suspect I would be inclined towards the R1, but with my head, it would depend on the specifications and how they helped my photography.

I am very great full for other members thoughts and experience of the R series and how positive you are inclined towards it, so I am definitely looking in that direction, just not yet.
    Colin

Comment

I had also thought about the rumoured R1 and wonder if I do sell my 1DX2 and end up buying the R5 and then the R1 is announced I might regret the purchase as once I buy the R5 that would be it for a long time.
      Mind you expect the R1 will be £6000 or so and would be out of reach for me. The other consideration is the RF L lenses which I doubt very much I will be able to afford. For example, I could only get £800 for my immaculate EF 70-200mm 2.8 II and the RF version is £2600, the price of a second body, an R6 !! Crazy money. I will have to sell my 1DX2 and some Panasonic lenses left over from my GH5 to get the R5 anyway.

Comment

I know that feeling. RFL lenses are a considerable premium over their EFL counterparts.
        Colin

Comment

I bought my RF 70-200F2.8L from HDEW...£1800 at the time.....Ill take the risk with imports everytime....the high street prices are a rip off.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

There's a thought, always been wary though, but yeah 70-200 is just under £2100

Comment

I've bought no end of imports over the years without any problems whatsoever. agree with Brian (@imagesBV) high street prices are a rip off, not just Canon but all the major brands.
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

you could buy a ticket to New York...have a weekend in a hotel, go to B&H and buy an R5 and one lens instead of at the UK high street and you'll still have change.....if you didn't to pay duty on the way back that is.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Yeah I always thought about going to NY to buy a big white when the exchange rate was $2 to the pound, mind you if you went to B&H you can get an R5 for $3899 = £2840, £1360 discount

Comment

Its worth checking the import duty at that price!............let me know if you go I might ask you to bring a lens back for me!
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Seeing its been mentioned, that's where I got a lot of my stuff.
                      Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Whoopee!! RF 100 - 500 has finally arrived. All I have to do now is think up a way of getting out to collect it.
                        More of lifes little frustrations!

Comment

PS. And thanks to Brian V I'll be able to use it

Comment

What amazes me is the expectation by Canon that we will swap all or gear to RF at a stroke. I say this as they DON'T bundle an adapter from EF to R with either the R5 or R6. I would buy an R6 today but have no intention of swapping out thousands of pounds worth of glass. The fact that I have to buy an adapter would be less of a problem if that were possible. I shall, therefore not buy the R6 until such time as the adapter is available. There isn't any RF lens that I look at and say 'Wow I must have that' and I suspect that many others feel the same. Over time, as my existing EF lenses become outdated for my type of photography I will migrate to RF lenses. So Canon get you act together get the adapters available in sufficient quantity to satisfy the market. As to camera choice the R6 is the one for me it's the first mirrorless camera that I have looked at and actually wanted. The R5's undoubted higher specification offers nothing extra that I want or need other than the prestige of a 5 rather than a 6 and a much heftier price tag.

I have just been told by the two biggest Canon dealerships in the UK that it could be months before adapters are available. Is this a plot by Canon to force people into buying RF lenses.
                            Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 30-01-2021, 10:23.
                            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I went from my old and showing it 60D to the R when it came out. I'd been thinking about a new body as the 60D was long in the tooth and perhaps maybe a move to full frame and then Canon announced the R. I looked at the specs and went for it. I have not used the 60D since so sold that. Love the R, yes it gets tons of criticism, mostly it would seem from those that don't use it but I really squeezed out the performance from this body. Then the R5 gets announced and there is no way I can afford that, until a small but substantial inheritance suddenly lands in my lap, I really was not expecting, so I took the plunge for the R5 and got a few more RF lenses for it too...luck lad. I cannot see any reason why people do not consider the mirrorless solution now that I have and use one, okay, two. I used to be mirrorless, what? Why? DSLRs are where it's always been, but I'm glad to say the gamble I took a couple of years ago is the future and ignoring it seems a little daft as it is clearly the direction Canon and all the other manufacturers are heading.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post

I have just been told by the two biggest Canon dealerships in the UK that it could be months before adapters are available. Is this a plot by Canon to force people into buying RF lenses.
                                More than likely - force the hand!
                                Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                                X