200D - with Samyang 14mm - strange star shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200D - with Samyang 14mm - strange star shapes

Hoping someone may be able to advise. Of my three samyang lenses: 14mm, 85mm and 135mm, one - the 14mm appears to create these strange star shapes:

i'm not imaging above 20secs, and aperture is set at F/2.8. could the lens be faulty? or is this an "infinity" issue? this does not occur with the other two lenses.

thanks for any advice.

here's the crop:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

hopefully the attached gives a better close-up of the problem...even the background (barely-visible) stars have the same problem.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

just a quick update on this:

I’d had a few issues with my Samyang 14mm F/2.8 lens. the “trident-shaped” glare to images (on my Canon 200d). (see image 1) prompted me to contact Samyang.

So, off it went to Samyang’s (Intro 2020) Service HQ UK. After inspection they concluded that there were problems with the lens – but as it was out of warranty, they could replace it with a shiny bright MkII version (complete with focus lock) for a reduced price.

However, after play-testing, images appear to have a curious (different) mis-shape to them (see image 2). I was assured by Intro 2020 that the MkII is a great lens, and I have contacted them, but while i await their reply, is there anything else i can try to be sure. could this be the camera itself? or have i just been unlucky with two lenses?

1.jpg

2.jpg

some please help

Comment

Think might be worth trying on a different camera. This will help you to ident if the issue is the lens or your camera.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          Think might be worth trying on a different camera. This will help you to ident if the issue is the lens or your camera.
          but two different Samyang 14mm lenses - two different image issues?
          going to try with kit lens tonight and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by brenski View Post

but two different Samyang 14mm lenses - two different image issues?
            going to try with kit lens tonight and see what happens
            Thought the shape of the artifacts was quite similar myself. Trying a different body will help to eliminate one or the other.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

i don't have a different camera body to try. which is why i went for the lens option

Comment

Originally posted by brenski View Post
                i don't have a different camera body to try. which is why i went for the lens option
                Ahh, that does make a difference. Do you know another Canon user who could help?

Comment

unfortunately, i don't.

Comment

Where do you live
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

worcestershire

Comment

To far, if you had been local to me I would have let you have a body for a night.

PS. Camera that is
                        Last edited by Trev B; 23-04-2021, 22:04.
                        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

samyang star shapes.jpg

seems that even stopped down to F/4 there's still something going on.

am wondering if any of the following Canon 200d settings are likely to help, and if so, what should i opt for?

♦ Mirror Lock
                          ♦ Lens Electronic MF
                          ♦ Lens aberration correction ► Peripheral illum / Chromatic aberr / Distortion / Diffraction
                          ♦ White Balance
                          ♦ Colorspace
                          ♦ Auto Lighting Optimizer
                          ♦ Long Exp Noise Reduction
                          ♦ High Speed ISO NR

or anything else "on camera" that may help?
                          Last edited by brenski; 25-04-2021, 10:13.

Comment

Brenski - are the images you have shown from the edge of the field of view?

If so, then surely this is just the coma that almost all lenses suffer from to some degree.

John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi John

I wish. no - the crops are taken from (almost) centre of image.

Comment

Working...
                              X