All around camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All around camera

My main camera is EOS 5D MK IV with which I am very happy. For an "all around" camera I have been using Panasonic Lumix FZ -100, which I purchased for its impressive features, particularly its RAW shooting possibility. However, this camera is disappointing if you do not shoot in bright daylight or with bright floodlights. The grain its sensor produces is terrible even at ISO 100 ! So, I decided to get rid of it and look for a decent bridge camera, preferably Canon. Would you recommend a particular model, based on your actual hands-on experience?
    Thank you
    Vasilis
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Have you considered using one of the smaller canons rather than a bridge? It would give you the flexibility to use your existing lenses. I use an 80D as a second camera but there are plenty of others. I like the 80D for its rotatable rear screen that is very handy for those reaching those awkward shots. Just a thought.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I use a compact that I could recommend but its not a Canon ....though it has the same sensor as the Canon G7X MKII.....so I'd recommend that....it will have superior Canon colours to mine, but mine does have a viewfinder. The 1" sensor and 20MP is excellent....noise is very well controlled but you need to keep ISO down to 800 or below in my experience. Its truly pocketable.....and responsible for many of my images sold on Alamy.....including my highest selling price shot sold to date.

I've just looked up the Lumix spec....as a bridge type I'd go for the G3X...same 1" sensor.....viewfinder is a separate attachment though.
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 26-05-2021, 12:31.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I use a Canon Powershot G16 extensively, although it not mine for another branch of photography that I do. It produces some excellent images most being published. It lightweight, small, pocketable and ideal in very confined and cramped locations (Built in Flash), plus being lightweight it can be helmet mounted.
        Last edited by Trev B; 27-05-2021, 08:16.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback.

Ian: I note your suggestion, as the 80D is indeed lightweight and easy to carry. It is the lens that can make the camera cumbersome, so this is a crucial issue for me to address.

@imagesBV: The camera has nice reviews, It's just that it does not support RAW...

Trev.B: 20MP sounds enticing. Will check whether the camera supports RAW...
          EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

A big shout from me for the canon G7X mk 2. Shoots RAW, excellent control and results . I have an A3 size on my wall taken in an internal shopping arcade in Sydney
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

'@imagesBV: The camera has nice reviews, It's just that it does not support RAW.'....suprised so checked it out for my own curiosity...

G7XIII has RAW and C-RAW and G3 has RAW...according to Canon website ...you have to click on detailed specification to find it though.

Specifications - Canon UK
              Specifications for PowerShot G7 X Mark III - Canon UK

while I'm at it the G16 has RAW......not sure if they still make them though....
              Canon PowerShot G16 Specifications - Canon UK

Let us know what you decide...

Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Yes the G16 shoots RAW
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful information. I am leaning towards G7X MK II.(20MP and RAW). I have already done my search and Amazon Germany offers it for €429 new. If I don't get a better deal in Greece I will order it next week.

Thank again to all of you.
                  Vasilis

Comment

Just a heads up....HDEW Cameras ...G7Xiii £489...not sure if they export but what a deal.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

images BV: I bought it some months ago, brand new, at €400 in Greece. I have shot quite a number of photos and I am pleased that I can process and convert RAW images in Canon's DPP 4 just as I do with my 5D MK IV photos.
                      Thank you all for your advice.
                      Vasilis

Comment

Working...
                      X