RP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RP

I have just upgraded to the RP - an amazing piece of kit. However, I cannot work out how to stop it defaulting to a cheery bright image. I tried to take a moody, tranquil landscape, but out comes a lovely bright image, which is not what I wanted at all. What have I missed?

Are you shooting JPEG or RAW.?
    It sounds like you are shooting JPEG and the bright image is due to the profile i.e. landscape.
    or maybe you are using an auto exposure mode with an over exposure having been set?
    What are your settings?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I was using the Fv settings all set to auto originally with the colour also set to auto but then tried neutral and landscape as well

Comment

It might be good to post an example...?

Instead of Fv...try switching to aperture priority and then vary exposure compensation...does that make the brightness of the image vary?...
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

It has taken some time (life gets in the way sometimes), but I tried a crude experiment last night. I hope that I have managed to upload the shot from the RP and one from my iPhone which shows what it should look like. I was rather expecting the RP to be able to do this! I did also try the RP with -2 exposure compensation, which was much closer.

Comments appreciated

Comment

Damn, I cannot upload the RP shots!! Is it because at 11mb they are too big?

Comment

Originally posted by hmlask View Post
              Damn, I cannot upload the RP shots!! Is it because at 11mb they are too big?
              Probably.

I have difficulty uploading large MB images from Flickr. When I ensure they are below 5MB, I have no problems at all.

Colin

Comment

Try having a look at the screen brightness setting, that will give you a false bright image if it is set too high.

On my EOSR I use FV mode exclusively as it allows you to control the key setting in one place. You can set the TV, AV Expos Comp and ISO all independently by use of the Mode wheel.

Can’t help on the upload issues, some of my files are 5-6Mb and one was 11Mb and I haven’t had upload problems.

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Finally able to reduce the size of the pictures and post them. Comments attached to each. My main point is that I was really expecting the camera to accurately record an image, not artificially lighten it, however spectacular the shot might be
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Many thanks for posting the images, we can see what is happening now.

Your camera exposure meter is set to reproduce an 18% grey scale image, because that amount of light will produce good images 95% of the time. The other 5% is where you, as a photographer, need to intervene.

With a predominantly dark image, the meter will try to lighten the exposure so that blacks will become mid grey and this will work for most people, but you wanted the scene to record as it was and therefore used your experience to darken the image by using -2 exposure compensation. Well done.

Similarly, snow scenes, instead of being crips white will tend to come out grey, so some positive exposure compensation is required at +1 or +2.

Your iPhone produced a more acceptable image to you, probably because it's low light capability wasn't as good as your RP. Therefore in this instance, the iPhone deficiency worked to your advantage.

Hope this helps.
                    Colin

Comment

Thank you, it all makes sense, although it is not a phenomenon that I remember from my 80D. Maybe I never tried!

Comment

Working...
                      X