Playing with my new R6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing with my new R6

Bit of background. I needed a new lightweight tripod for hiking. Found what I wanted - £300 - and then I discovered that my local camera shop was giving that very same tripod away free with a R6. So I thought that as I would probably buy into the R system eventually, this had to be a bargain! I am single so I don't need to explain my insane financial decisions to anyone ;-)

Besides which, I do need two full frame cameras for the publicity photos I do for a historic building where I volunteer - a backup camera is essential - and I have a friend who is happy to buy my (somewhat worse for ware) 6D. But my 5D mk 4 will remain my main camera for publicity stuff - but the R6 is a good backup and the same sensor size as the 6D which has served me well for a long time.

So the R6 arrived today - the EF-R adapter arrived a few days ago. I do not have any RF lenses and may not do so for a while - I have a rather extensive collection of EF lenses, and a good few L ones too. But a fast RF wide angle zoom would be a nice addition - in time.

But back to the title - playing ... Obviously I fired off a few shots with the R6 as soon as I'd unpacked it - some with my trusty EF 24-105 F/4L and some my EF 28 F/2.8 IS. But then I thought if the R system is so good why not try something really insane - something that I've tried before with my 80D and 5D mk 4 and never got anywhere.

So the setup - R6, EF-R adapter, EF 2x extender, 12mm extension tube (you need the extension tube because you can't stack mark III extenders). 1.4x extender, EF 100-mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - and it works! The EXIF info is screwed up of course - the R6 still thinks you are at 800mm and F/11 - but exposure works fine. You can't (quite) focus at infinity because of the extension tube, but you''d never find anything that far away in the view finder anyway ;-) A DIY 1120mm lens!

The photo is only a "proof of concept" - an ornament that hangs in my lounge window taken from the hall - and I'm not claiming it is a brilliant photo or anything. But with 2 extenders it was never going to be superb. On the other hand I am quite impressed with it given the setup - 1/1250s (hand held), ISO 16000 (both of which are probably correct) and F/11 (according to the EXIF info) which can't be right - it must be F/16.

I have no idea when I may need to use my DIY 1120mm lens, but it is rather nice to know I that have one ;-)

JDR10032 by Jennifer Dowson, on Flickr

I have just having review this photo, I really do need to do some dusting ;-)
    Jennifer

Photos on Flickr

That was meant to be 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - oops!
    Jennifer

Photos on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer View Post
      That was meant to be 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - oops!
      I did wonder
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It's a fine camera and your shot proves it. I use mine almost entirely with non RF lenses in fact they aren't even Canon lenses. Enjoy your camera and remember it may be the camera that takes the picture but it's the photographer that sees the image..
        Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 10-09-2021, 19:05.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
        X