EOS 5D Mark III Video and Auto Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 5D Mark III Video and Auto Focus

I've been given an EOS 5D Mark III to use and for photos, everything is fine, however, for videos I cannot work out how to get it to autofocus. Everything I can see seems to be set correctly, but it just never focuses. Is there anything special I need to do? Any particular mode or setting I need to have set? I've tried everything I can think of and see in the settings but to no avail. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi da644 and welcome to the EOS magazine forum. The EOS 5D Mark III has limited autofocus capability for video. There's no continuous AF function – essentially you can focus on your subject before you start shooting with a half-press of the shutter button, then start recording. Essentially to change focus mid-shooting, you'll have to do so manually.

As the focusing is sensor-based when using Live View or Movie mode, it's a completely different focusing system at play. It's also quite early days in terms of sensor-based focusing capability as it's pre Canon's Dual Pixel AF system which was introduced in 2013, the year after the 5D Mark III came out. You'll find more details in the instruction manual about the focusing in Live View/Movie mode on pages 207-213 in the instruction manual, plus the section on shooting video starts on p214.

If you haven't yet downloaded the manual, you can find it here:
    https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_5d_mark_iii.html?type=manuals

Claire

Comment

Thanks for the information Claire, I did think it was a bit strange it wasn't focusing and I don't think the manual makes this very clear at all, but your explanation was good

Comment

Working...
      X