5D1V Banding Noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D1V Banding Noise!

Some of you may remember a recent post of mine of a sunrise taken from the top of a mountain in Madeira.

I have noticed in a set of bracketed images taken that same morning some colour banding in the raw image, to cut a long story short I have had discussions with the Canon Professional Services (CPS) regarding the issue, after sending them the three raw files from the bracketed sequence. Note in non low light situations the camera produces very clean images.

They suggested a number of things that may have caused the issue and steps to take to overcome the problem. One of which was to enable Long Exposure Noise Reduction on the camera, it wasn't enabled at the time i was in Madeira. The disturbing element of my conversation with the Canon technical person was his statement that banding was an inherent shortcoming of CMOS sensors!

One other suggestion he gave me was "Please note it is possible to re-calibrate CMOS sensor sensitivity on EOS 5D Mark IV to correct some electronic gaining values, but you will need to send you camera to Canon service centre"

I haven't heard of this capability before, has anyone on the forum come across this before?

For clarity of the banding the attached image is one of the ones that I sent to Canon as part of the case I raised with them. To post here in post processing I have only increased the exposure on the image by about 2.5 stops to allow the banding to be visible in the attached jpg.

I'm considering sending the camera of to Canon to have the sensor re calibrated but first I need to speak to them to get an idea of the costs involved.

Have you any thoughts on this issue ?

1: Banding image for clarity of my ramblings above, notice the vertical colour band left of centre EXIF of raw file ISO800, f16, 6.0 second

20220923-_MG_6563.jpg

Last edited by ST-EOS; 27-11-2022, 08:17.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Crikey…this is beyond my current knowledge of image processing…CMOS complimentary metal oxide semiconductors was developed to reduce the amount of power required….not just in sensors but in integrated circuits in general…I’d assume that the problem here is caused after the sensor has produced the signal from each pixel…so not the image sensor itself unless the sensor has the image processing circuits integrated into it.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
      Crikey…this is beyond my current knowledge of image processing…CMOS complimentary metal oxide semiconductors was developed to reduce the amount of power required….not just in sensors but in integrated circuits in general…I’d assume that the problem here is caused after the sensor has produced the signal from each pixel…so not the image sensor itself unless the sensor has the image processing circuits integrated into it.
      I'm beginning to wonder if the coloured band may have been caused by some outside influence. Possibly some form electrical pulsing.
      I need a rainy day to do some more checking of the other images from that shoot, I did some initial checks based on the same ISO and f stop but didn't reach any conclusion.
      I'm still waiting for Canon CPS to give me a price for "recalibrating the sensor" before I send the camera to their repair centre.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Having shot over 75,000 images on My two 5D IVs I have never seen this phenomena. What where the settings that you used for the shot? I have taken similar images with no problems.
        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
          Having shot over 75,000 images on My two 5D IVs I have never seen this phenomena. What where the settings that you used for the shot? I have taken similar images with no problems.
          Hi Alan
          See the details of the raw file associated with the jpg that I originally posted in this thread. I'm convinced that the banding issue was caused by some interaction between a nearby radar station/large telescopes and possibly the GPS receiver in my camera.

EOS_Post.jpg
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

The setting you used look fine to me, I suspect you may be right about an external factor..
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
            X