R7 and diffraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R7 and diffraction

I've been reading up on the R7 to compliment my R6 for wildlife photography, to give me more 'reach' due to its crop sensor and high resolution.....but I've also read that diffraction softens the image at any aperture smaller than f5.5. I have my doubts about this because even the RF 100-500 has a modest wide aperture with f7.1 at the long end.
    Of course diffraction is always present in any lens, but less of a problem with low res large sensors...hence I've had no problems with the R6 and f11 fixed aperture...or the f8 of the RF100-400.
    Does anyone have any real world experience please?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Not had direct experience with the R7 but a pupil of mine has had diffraction problems with the R10 at f11 and above. I personally never push above f11 on my 5D Mk4s as there is some measure of diffraction noticeable in certain scenes when viewed at A3 size.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks for that….I tend to keep to f11 or below…I don’t properly understand why different camera bodies suffer to a different extent - as I understand it diffraction is a function of the lens…is diffraction exacerbated by the size of the individual photo sites?
      sorry if I’m asking too many questions…
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
      X