Canon phasing out DSLR support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon phasing out DSLR support?

In an email from Digital Photography School, we read that Canon is phasing out support of DSLR cameras (https://digital-photography-school.c...vitis@yahoo.gr) This is disturbing news for millions of DSLR camera owners who do not wish to forcibly switch to mirrorless, not necessarily for financial reasons but based on personal choice. Does EOS magazine have any relevant information from Canon?
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Changing world we now live in, sure there will be independent businesses to assist, but not surprised, the company that manufactured my car Mitsubishi, have pulled out of europe, I was contemplating buying another, but can't now, pity it has been an excellent motor. When my dslr got a shutter fault I ummed and arghed a bit and decided to move away to digital movies instead. Glad I did now.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

I did read somewhere where someone was asking if canon would still repair his 80D and that support was available until either 2025 or 2029 ( cant remember which )

found this link

Canon updates its list of how long it will provide service and repair support for on its cameras

Last edited by 2Beers; 13-04-2023, 14:45.
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

The world we live in - a throw away world, when it's knackered buy new
        Last edited by Trev B; 13-04-2023, 15:49.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
          The world we live in - a throw away world, when it's knackered buy new
          Don't tell 'er indoors that Trev!
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

Don't tell 'er indoors that Trev!
            She’s not quite knackered yet, so will hang on to her for the time being

I’m in her good books at the moment, just sold up a load of camera’s, lens etc. some film camera’s F, A1, AE1
            She can’t believe what I got for them, considering what I told her I paid for them

Trev

Flickr:

Comment

It is understandable that technology, like tide and time, waits for no one. However, manufacturers of cameras or any technology commodities should allow a reasonable time margin before they stop supporting products such as DSLR cameras, so widely used all over the world. Whereas digital cameras were an almost natural development from the analogue era, mirrorless is not the same kind of development. There are features in the mirrorless technology that users may not feel very comfortable with, plus that lenses that may have been collected over decades are suddenly useless unless a mounting converter is used. In short, mirrorless cannot be considered as a technological development, as it has existed for decades in bridge cameras. It is understandable that camera makers seek to create a new market, particularly with the increasing use of smartphones as cameras, but traditional DSLRs should not be dropped from the image of photography by phasing out support.
              EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

In the long run it’s about the pounds going into their pockets - they want you to invest in new technology.
                Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                  In the long run it’s about the pounds going into their pockets - they want you to invest in new technology.
                  Sadly YES, Trevor!

Comment

The 80D appears to be supported until 27 There is no announced dates for DSLRs that are still being sold so I guess that they will be supported until at least 2027 EOS Kiss Series
                    • EOS Kiss X7: February 2024
                    • EOS Kiss X7i: November 2023
                    • EOS Kiss X8i: November 2025
                    • EOS Kiss X9: February 2026
                    • EOS Kiss X9i: November 2026
                    • EOS Kiss X10i: TBD
                    • EOS Kiss X10: TBD
                    • EOS Kiss X70: February 2023
                    • EOS Kiss X80: February 2025
                    • EOS Kiss X90: TBD
                    • EOS 8000D: September 2024
                    • EOS 9000D: September 2026
                    EOS Series
                    • EOS-1D X Mark II: July 2026
                    • EOS-1D X Mark III: TBD
                    • EOS 5D Mark III: March 2024
                    • EOS 5D Mark IV: TBD
                    • EOS 5Ds: May 2027
                    • EOS 5Ds R: August 2028
                    • EOS 6D: September 2025
                    • EOS 6D Mark II: TBD
                    • EOS 7D Mark II: January 2027
                    • EOS 70D: September 2023
                    • EOS 80D: September 2027
                    • EOS 90D: TBD
                    This information is from a Canon website and translated from the original Japanese. Hope it helps DSLR fans
                    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 01-05-2023, 00:04.
                    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X