Canon EOS 3 camera fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 3 camera fault

I don't know if anyone can help and I hope this is the right place to post but I have an EOS 3 and it had developed a fault. I wondered if anyone has come across this before and if they fixed it...

I was taking it on holiday and checked it to find the 'bc' battery indicator flashing so replaced the battery. It switched on fine.

Once on holiday I tried taking some photos and it switch on no problem but when I pressed the shutter nothing happened and it made a film moving noise and 'bc' was flashing in the LCD window.

I tried another new battery, same thing happened.

It had partly used film loaded so thought it may be that so tried the 'mid-roll rewind' function which seemed to work but on opening the camera back the film was still loaded. Had to pull it out in the end.

Tried another film but it didn't wind on - it made a short noise but on checking the film hadn't loaded.

Anyone come across this before and if so, was it expensive to fix?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Canon EOS 3 camera fault

Welcome to the forum...

The "BC" error code is BOTH a battery-check code AND a general error code for the Eos-3...

Are you in the UK? If so, I suggest you contact either the main Canon Service Centre at Elstree direct here;

Unit 130 Centennial Park
    Centennial Avenue
    Elstree Hill South
    Borehamwood
    Elstree
    Hertfordshire
    WD6 3SE

Tel: 0844 369 0100
    Fax: 0844 892 0849
    Web: http://www.canon.co.uk

OR; any of the Canon service agents here;

A.J.Johnstone & Company Limited
    395-399 Central Chambers
    93 Hope Street
    Glasgow
    G2 6LD

Tel: 0141 221 2106
    Fax: 0141 221 9166

Web: http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk

Colchester Camera Repair Services
    6 Kings Court
    Off Newcomen Way
    Severalls Business Park
    Colchester
    CO4 9RA

Tel: 01206 843 322
    Fax: 01206 843 323

Web: http://www.camera-repair.co.uk

H. Lehmann Limited
    247-249 London Road
    Stoke-on-Trent
    ST4 5AA

Tel: 01782 413 611
    Fax: 01782 744 579

Web: http://www.lehmannsdirect.co.uk

I've used both Lehmann's & Canon at Elstree, and both are good...

Good luck.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Jensmith25 View Post
      I don't know if anyone can help and I hope this is the right place to post but I have an EOS 3 and it had developed a fault. I wondered if anyone has come across this before and if they fixed it...

I was taking it on holiday and checked it to find the 'bc' battery indicator flashing so replaced the battery. It switched on fine.

Once on holiday I tried taking some photos and it switch on no problem but when I pressed the shutter nothing happened and it made a film moving noise and 'bc' was flashing in the LCD window.

It had partly used film loaded so thought it may be that so tried the 'mid-roll rewind' function which seemed to work but on opening the camera back the film was still loaded. Had to pull it out in the end.

Tried another film but it didn't wind on - it made a short noise but on checking the film hadn't loaded.

Thanks for any advice.
      I have a spare one for sale if the repair bill is to high.
      rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

The EOS 3 is a top,tough, professional camera. I had a similar fault and Lehemans in Stoke on Trent diagnosed the fault for me. I think it is a fault with the battery grip- the same as mine, and I had to replace with a new one. Cost about £50 new for the grip. The camera is working fine since then. I have a new spare grip and contact me should you need one. I will have to sell it to you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          I contacted Lehemans and they said they couldn't diagnose without looking at it but that a standard service with minor repairs would cost £139. I'm assuming that it would require more than just a minor repair and that this would be on top of the £139 so I'm wondering if it's worth repairing.

I'm very disappointed as my camera isn't even 5 yrs old and hasn't been used that much.

The EOS 3 is a top,tough, professional camera. I had a similar fault and Lehemans in Stoke on Trent diagnosed the fault for me. I think it is a fault with the battery grip- the same as mine, and I had to replace with a new one. Cost about £50 new for the grip. The camera is working fine since then. I have a new spare grip and contact me should you need one. I will have to sell it to you.
          I assume you mean the hand grip integral to the camera rather than an additional battery grip on the bottom of the camera?

To rhodopsin - thanks for the offer. Would it be less than the repair quoted?

I'm considering going digital if I can't get this fixed cheaply but I would ideally have got the EOS 40d but this isn't available new anymore it seems and the 50d is a bit expensive.
          Would consider the 450d but heard it has an occasional focusing fault so not sure what to do really.

Comment

I was reading some other info on the web about problems with the EOS 3 and cleaning the contacts on the lense mount was suggested due to oxidisation after prolonged storage with a lense mounted.
            So I tried that and it didn't seem to have worked but we persisted and tried the shutter with no lense, as I wondered if the mirror was stuck and it bounded back to life!

Don't know if it'll fail again but at least it's working now!

I will store it without the battery and lense and hopefully it won't happen again.

Comment

To rhodopsin - thanks for the offer. Would it be less than the repair quoted?
              Good to read you've got it going again.

Not sure if the repair bill would pay for another EOS 3 but it's not that far away.
              rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Thanks for any advice.
                Sorry for coming in so late. I have also had this problem with my EOS 3- a superb camera in all respects. You will have to replace the battery grip and it costs around £50. I had this same trouble. Since I have now sold both my EOS 3 cameras, I have a new,unused battery grip. If you are interested, contact me.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another late post but it may help someone in the future. Shutter systems have I believe an electro-magnet system to trigger the shot and this can jam, the bc flashing symbol then appears.

It is fairly simple to fix, I recently had a EOS 1N with the problem, it was put right by APM Cameras 3-5 Eldon Square Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7JG Te. 0191 2212340.

Small concern but good reputation and mine cost £40 to fix with a replacement magnet system.

Comment

MY EOS 3 problem was put right by H.Lehemann of Stoke on Trent (Canon repairers). They said it was always better to have a spare pistol grip i.e the one which houses the batteries!!Charged me £54.99 for a new grip.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                    X