Re: Film cameras are not dead!

And you smiled.....
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Comment

I was that New Romantic!!!

Who need New Order. Bring on Joy Division!

Still great fun though. Tamron and Vivitar were the lenses to go for. OM stuff was/is bomb proof but not that quick.

Graham

Comment

I am one of the 17% film users with a EOS 3 which is as good as the 5d in terms of full frame and versatility. I also have a 350d which I am very satisfied with, for my purpose- I am not a professional. I have found that I have buy film and slides on E-bay and do selective printing of pics i.e I get all my fil/slide pics on to a CD and then I choose what I want to print and put in my album. I am mindful of the fact the digital pics kept on computers and disc is OK when one is young and fit but once you are in the "horizontal " or "toes" up position, who will bother with your digital pics stored in your computer and other digital files. My motto is always print your best or interesting pics, whether digital or film and put them in an album or get them printed in the modern book form.

Sorry if I have veered from film to digital and vice versa but I am committed to both mediums.

Comment

If Canon or one of the big named companies develop a technology whereby film cameras could show th result of a picture,immediately like Digital cameras, I bet that film cameras will "kill" off the digitals for good. The 35mm slides projected on to a large screen is so sharp that digital photography cannot match the definitions and sharpness of slides. Likewise,film could be enlarged far greater than digital pictures without loss of definition or quality. I hope Canon will set about developing a film camera that can show the result if a photo immediately like a DSLR and you will be on to a "winner".

Comment

My reply is in no way an argument as to your statement that slide projections are superior to digital – There is always a few "howevers": I do possess a slide projector – granted it’s the least expensive projector Leica currently makes or probably has ever made and my Camera Club owns a digital projector – I’m being as honest as I can be when I say I can’t see the difference – "However": Since Sept 1st the day I received the 5D MkII I now begin to see the difference between film and Digital. My camera of choice for the last 11 years has been the EOS 3 with the Elan 7 (EOS 30/33?) employed as backup. I also use the Canon 9950f scanner – not the best but certainly respectable in performance. Since I took it out of the box I have shot the equivalent 5/6 rolls worth of images with the 5D2. These are without question the highest quality photos I have ever taken in my life. Simply put I’m a complete convert - the 5D2 beats the pants off anything I ever got out of any film camera including my much beloved EOS 3. I can’t tell you by how many stops but the digital appears to have a much-much greater dynamic range. I was concerned about digital color vs what I have experienced with Velvia 50 & 100. The digital more then holds its own and as for resolution my only comparison is the day we unplugged the old RCA analogue and fired-up the new HDTV flat screen. I knew that over the years I had attempted to purchase some pretty good lenses but didn’t know they were this good. As for having total control I use the DPP supplied software and shoot in RAW. When shooting film I always “assumed” that RAW was for some reason much harder to do then JPEG – Not so – Combining DPP with RAW provides me with complete control. I can totally disregard all or most all of those new fangled digital settings and just concentrate on basic photography – I can play with what I call the digital settings later in DPP when I have a nice big screen to review and if I screw-it-up and remember save the RAW image I can always go back and fix-it. With out a dark room film never provided this level of control or anything close to the level of quality I experience with the 5D2. I will continue to proudly and humbly remain “A Amateur Photographer Who Has The Photos To Prove It” "However" – My photos sure got a whole lot better.

Comment

Oh yes they are! And this is the best thing to do with them... http://izismile.com/img/img2/2009092...ion_248_48.jpg

Comment

Rob! You've done it again. You're just ruthless!
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  Rob! You've done it again. You're just ruthless!
                  "People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him."

Robert Kennedy
                  The ICBM is on it's way!

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
                    The ICBM is on it's way!
                    Surprised it hasn't struck already.
                    Dave

Comment

I still have a mint condition F1n-AE and use it regularily. It put a rather silly smile on my face. What more can I say.

Comment

I have recently just started to get back into b&w film - I hlep out with a school photography club so get the film, paper and developing for free (we take the photos for the kids at the moment as none of them have a film camera (funnily enough!), they then enlarge from the developed negs) and I get to keep my best shots!

When we first took the kids into the darkroom, they had no concept of film or light sensitive photopaper - one kid even pulled his phone out to see the time while we were taking some photopaper out of the packet!

I use an EOS 300v, not the best, but it does what I want it to!

Comment

It is really how you look at things. When I was younger I drove a car with a stick shift transmission. As a matter of fact it was a sporty MG. Now that I am 62, almost 63, I drive an automatic transmission car. So the change to digital was easy for me. I still have the A1 even if I don't use it anymore.

Howard

Comment

Despite being an ardent film user and lover of the EOS 3 I have now sold this camera as I am now completely digitalised. My conversion is because I can see the pictures immediately with a digital and can correct errors at once; also I can select the pictures I wish to print without waiting for me to finish the film roll. The film has been a great medium for many of us for many many years and the EOS 3 & IV are great cameras- top of the range and on par with the full frame 5d and the rest BUT the convenience of digital cameras & digital images has made me change my mind.

Comment

I have a EOS 3 with the power blaster, awesome camera bit still try to chimp every shot..duh
                              The focus on this thing is amazing but I have yet to use it to it's full potential. I will probably keep it forever as it pairs up nicely with a 16-35mm "L" and the tones are beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                                The handling of these cameras is still superb.... fast and responsive and excellent metering....
                                A very nice thought Gary, but it's not my experience. I often duplicate some of my digital shots on trannies and although my EOS 1N HS was the best camera in the world when I bought it, it is positively asthmatic compared to my 1D MKIII.

That doesn't spoil my pleasure of using the 1N and the discipline of having to get it right in camera stops my digital work getting sloppy, but realistically, they are different animals entirely.

Colin
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X