EOS 3 eye control help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 3 eye control help!

I'm having trouble with the eye control focus on my EOS 3 (which I've only had for a few days).

If I try to calibrate eye control with my right eye to the viewfinder and my left eye closed, then it won't calibrate successfully and starts to beep by the time I get to the third or fourth focus point. But if I keep my left eye open, not only does it calibrate successfully first time around, but the eye control works like a charm so long as I keep my left eye open.

The thing is, I can't exactly go around taking photos with my left eye wide open while my right eye is looking through the viewfinder! Is this some kind of problem with the sensitivity of eye control, or am I just squinting too much in my right eye when I close my left?

Re: EOS 3 eye control help!

Originally posted by jamescronin View Post
    I'm having trouble with the eye control focus on my EOS 3 (which I've only had for a few days).

If I try to calibrate eye control with my right eye to the viewfinder and my left eye closed, then it won't calibrate successfully and starts to beep by the time I get to the third or fourth focus point. But if I keep my left eye open, not only does it calibrate successfully first time around, but the eye control works like a charm so long as I keep my left eye open.

The thing is, I can't exactly go around taking photos with my left eye wide open while my right eye is looking through the viewfinder! Is this some kind of problem with the sensitivity of eye control, or am I just squinting too much in my right eye when I close my left?
    I've got an EOS 3 with Eye Control and it only works occasionally - big clue is: why haven't Canon developed it further
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

I had 2 EOS 3's before my 5D. I found that it was a job to set up the eye control and took a lot of time, but have patience and calibrate under different lighting conditions. When set up it worked very well for me. I wish my 5D was so equipped!

Gerry

Edit: I did use them with the Canon eye cup Ed-E.
      Last edited by Greecian; 13-12-2009, 15:11.

Comment

Make sure when calibrating that the light is very good to fantastic, and train your eye(s) to look through the little squares and not at them.

As for taking pics with both eyes open, the army teaches to shoot with both eyes open, an absolute necessity when using single point aiming/sighting systems.

regards

Nigel

Comment

OK, thanks guys!

Originally posted by Greecian View Post
          Edit: I did use them with the Canon eye cup Ed-E.
          Did the eye cup itself actually improve the accuracy of eye control over the standard eye cup?

Originally posted by doktorstamp View Post
          Make sure when calibrating that the light is very good to fantastic, and train your eye(s) to look through the little squares and not at them.

As for taking pics with both eyes open, the army teaches to shoot with both eyes open, an absolute necessity when using single point aiming/sighting systems.
          Thanks for the advice, but if I keep both eyes open then I just end up confusing myself!

Comment

Originally posted by doktorstamp View Post

regards

Nigel
            I have a EOS 3 as well and this is news I can use Thanx and I will get back 2 U on the results

Comment

I have a EOS3 and had a go at replecating the photo in a Canon hand book with a pooltable & balls though.
              I think i must have been lucky i got the same efect as book it dose work. Great camera is the EOS 3 i should
              run some film through it again. But you have to pay to see your results though,can you still buy 12exps LOL.
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
              Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
              Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

I had two EOS 3's. Excellent cameras. I never used eye control -too fiddly- as I am short sighted. So I prefered to use the conventional focussing aids. Worked brilliantly.Sold them both when I moved to Digital photography.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I shoot birds in flight with both eyes open.

Right eye concentrating through the viewfinder and left eye covering the overall scene. Very useful if the little critters disappear from the vewfinder to be able to pick them up quickly again.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    I shoot birds in flight with both eyes open.

Right eye concentrating through the viewfinder and left eye covering the overall scene. Very useful if the little critters disappear from the vewfinder to be able to pick them up quickly again.

Colin
                    little crumbs of valuable information again....
                    David

Comment

You could just disable it and not use it. I don't see that it's worth using. I particularly don't like the idea of my camera looking back at me. But that may just be me.

Comment

Working...
                      X