A Brilliant Film Camera Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Brilliant Film Camera Purchase

During the last nine months I have bought and have been using film cameras, primarily old Canon rangefinder cameras. My favorite film camera is a Canon P made in 1961. It's a sweet looking ride, but it doesn't have a built in light meter. This was common during that era. It's taken quite an effort to learn how to use film again and to do so without a built-in meter. I've learned a great deal more about photography in the process, though.

The primary equipment weakness, though, that I have with film cameras is regarding lenses. I own a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, which is awesome, and I have a few excellent Canon lenses that I use with it. For my Canon P, though, I have only one lens: a very nice Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 llens, but nothing compared to my Canon EOS L series lenses. The results of my film prints have been difficult to compare to the results of the digital images from my 5D MII. I realize that they're naturally different, but my limited lens choices (i.e., only one lower quality lens) limits my enjoyment of film.

Recently, though, I came up with a brilliant solution. Yes, I'm boasting here. But I can't get anyone I know to understand how cool this is: my friends aren't camera fans. So, I thought I'd mention it here, especially if someone else is considering trying their hand at film. I bought a Canon EOS Elan 7n (a.k.a. 30v outside of the U.S.) on ebay. I paid about $100 (€75 or £67) for it from someone in San Diego. It's in excellent condition. This model is basically the last film camera that Canon designed (it's about 6 years old). They still sell the EOS 1v, but that was designed before the 7n/30v. This EOS camera which I bought pretty much has the latest non-digital camera technology from Canon. Best of all, I can use my EOS lenses with excellent film camera, at an additional cost of only $100 (not including cost of film and printing). It's really cool. Check out the attached photo of the camera with a few of my favorite lenses.

russell_dyer_20100328_IMG_1132.jpg
    Last edited by russelljtdyer; 28-03-2010, 05:01.

Re: A Brilliant Film Camera Purchase

Hello Russell

I understand!

I still use my EOS 1n and thoroughly enjoy the discipline you need to get good results from it. It also stops me being lazy with my digital work.

Welcome.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks, Colin.

I took pictures this past Sunday and had them developed. The results aren't quite as high of a quality for which I was hoping, but they're still very good. My Canon 5D Mark II has spoiled me to expect absurdly high resolution. They may be two different categories and not to be compared. However, when I look at photos take with film by others in books and on the web, I see some that are much better than my film results. So, I'm thinking that the weak link my the chain (besides me) is the place I use to get my film developed, conveniently located within a block of my apartment. They do a good job for the general public, but I want much better quality. I'm going to have to try some true labs, which requires me to go further than a block from my house. For now, though, I have made significant improvements in my attempts at film by going with the 7n (30v) and using my best EOS lenses.

Comment

Bravo Russell! I too am amazed at the quality imaging devices that are practically being given away just because a new technology comes along. I'm trying to snap up as much as I can before people come to their senses. Right now, old A and T series are getting hip and trendy to carry around. A thirty year old Canon AE-1 will cost three times as much as an EOS A2 (EOS 5).

Comment

Should have kept some of my FD lens era Canons. Wonder what they would fetch these days and how the optics would stack up against EF's.
          Last edited by George Bear; 25-03-2011, 14:06.

Comment

I had the eye control version of that camera - got £125 on ebay for it, still popular.

Trev

Comment

MY view is that if one hankers after the old,then one should still consider the old quill and ink for writing purposes, and not go for the modern stuff. Having said that I still fondly think of my Canon EOS 3 and the Pentax spotmatic, ME super,MX and others of similar vintage. However I have no regrets about moving on with modern technology, althhough every new innovation makes me take two steps back and one step forwards!!
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 31-03-2011, 13:38.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nano_Burger View Post
                Right now, old A and T series are getting hip and trendy to carry around. A thirty year old Canon AE-1 will cost three times as much as an EOS A2 (EOS 5).
                Welcome to the Forum Nano_Burger.

You have just cheered me up, as my father's AE1 has only had two rolls of film through it and is a minter. Pity he never kept the original boxes.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

MY view is that if one hankers after the old,then one should still consider the old quill and ink for writing purposes, and not go for the modern stuff.
                  Yes, if one hankers after the old,then one should still consider an old amstrad word processor with no spelling or grammar check for writing purposes, and not go for the modern stuff.

Trev

Comment

Well there are things of old I hanker over ... a Series 1 E-Type Jaguar ... a Leica III (because it looks so like a camera should ) ... Omega Speedmaster ... my youth

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
                      Well there are things of old I hanker over ... a Leica III (because it looks so like a camera should )
                      Seen this? http://www.finepix-x100.com/ you may fancy a look-see..... and it's almost Leica money! But it does look the part.
                      “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                      "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                      "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                      "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

The Finepix looks good !

and it's almost Leica money
                        The M9 is £4.5K (body only), as far as I know the Finepix is only a grand

You never know, in 25 years time I could be touring around Tuscan villages in an E type Jag convertable with the missus.

I see myself, dressed in a suit, sporting a Panama hat, with an M9 in my pocket.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                          The Finepix looks good !

The M9 is £4.5K (body only), as far as I know the Finepix is only a grand

You never know, in 25 years time I could be touring around Tuscan villages in an E type Jag convertable with the missus.

I see myself, dressed in a suit, sporting a Panama hat, with an M9 in my pocket.

Trev
                          Hah - fair point, Trev. The Finepix is only a grand - if you can find one!! The last time I looked, they were like hen's teeth - so the only one's available were "used" and up to £1500!!!

I'm guessing, a cream linen suit, and the Jag would be Red, with the "biscuit" leather seats? Pure class!!!!
                          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Originally posted by BT Bob View Post
                            I'm guessing, a cream linen suit, and the Jag would be Red, with the "biscuit" leather seats?
                            Bob, very good guess, you're spot on in fact !

Trev

Comment

Hello Russell,

I had the 30V EOS Date with Eye Control and I really enjoyed myself with the camera. I, like you I have a 5D MK II and despite being a very good camera, I still take pictures with my EOS film.

During the holidays, but also in every day, I often use my 1V HS with slides or Kodax Fuji or Kodak Tri-X 400 black and white.

You did a good buy and your lenses will get some great photographs.

Hello and see you soon.

Marco :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X