EOS 650 mirror lock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 650 mirror lock up

Does the eos 650 slr have a mirror lockup feature? I have the manual. It neither shows nor mentions anything on the subject.
    I have a Nikon F2sb which is older and it has this feature. I thought it was common with slr cameras.
    Did Canon feel it was unnecessary to include with the 650? I cannot find information on this in a general internet inquiry, so I am asking here. Maybe I can learn something about the topic in general, on this forum. I am not well versed in this, so any input will be useful.
    Thanks for considering my question, anyone.

600 has option so would assume 650 has too.

Canon EOS 600D Manual Online: Mirror Lock-Up To Reduce Camera Shake. N The camera's mechanical shake caused by the reflex mirror action can blur images taken with a super telephoto lens or close-up (macro) lens. In such cases, mirror lockup is effective. Mirror lockup is enabled by...
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      600 has option so would assume 650 has too.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83....html?page=122
      No, that manual is for the EOS 600D - the OP is asking about the EOS 650 film camera, which was launched in 1987.

Although mirror lock is available on most EOS digital cameras, its first appearance on EOS film cameras was with the EOS 5 in 1992.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post

No, that manual is for the EOS 600D - the OP is asking about the EOS 650 film camera, which was launched in 1987.

Although mirror lock is available on most EOS digital cameras, its first appearance on EOS film cameras was with the EOS 5 in 1992.
        Oops missed it was an older camera, my brain assumed digital, 650D. Must read more carefully in future.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thank you, Robert. Thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbobway View Post
            Does the eos 650 slr have a mirror lockup feature? I have the manual. It neither shows nor mentions anything on the subject.
            I have a Nikon F2sb which is older and it has this feature. I thought it was common with slr cameras.
            Did Canon feel it was unnecessary to include with the 650?
            The F2 Nikons were pretty much professional spec cameras so mirror lock was to be expected. The feature was also found on some lower spec model Nikons of similar age, my FT3 and FM also have it but generally later and/or lower spec model Nikons don't so not strictly a failing on Canon's part.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks El Sid.

Comment

I never owned a 650 but I did own it's big brother the higher spec 620 introduced a bit later and that didn't have mirror lock up so I think it is unlikely that the 650 had this feature.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

My first EOS was the 650, bought in the early eighties when it first came out and I still have it but, sadly, the batteries are long dead and not rechargeable so I can't test it.

I also have an EOS 5 the handgrip of which is doing a good impersonation of fly paper.

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post

I also have an EOS 5 the handgrip of which is doing a good impersonation of fly paper.
                    I've got one too but I haven't checked it recently - I suspect mine will have gone the same way. I do know the ESO30 (not the 30D) I have has developed sticky grip syndrome...

Must check my old Nikons to see if they've done the same or whether it's just a Canon issue...

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post

I've got one too but I haven't checked it recently - I suspect mine will have gone the same way. I do know the ESO30 (not the 30D) I have has developed sticky grip syndrome...
                      I've had success with cleaning the grip on my EOS30 (Film) with Anti Bacterial Handwipes!

Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I'll look into that...

Doesn't seem to affect all old Canons either - both old EOS 10 bodies seem OK as does my old EOS1000.
                        Nigel

Comment

Thanks again to all. That sticky grip is not limited to these cameras. I have found it in a lot of other plastic and synth rubber stuff from the same era. Something common in the formulas of the day maybe.
                          I think recent products don't exhibit that, but then, maybe they need more time to begin to break down. Smog had an effect on some products back then. The smog was in the air, in your home, everywhere to some degree. If you lived in a city plagued with smog.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post

I've had success with cleaning the grip on my EOS30 (Film) with Anti Bacterial Handwipes!
                            My Elan 7 also had the sticky handgrip and I also used the Anti Bacterial hand wipes to clean it and it did the trick.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X