Should I buy EOS film camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

G'wan .......................... you must have one somewhere, he he.
    Nope, Just been through my hard drive, I couldn't find one Colin. :tongue:

Millie

Comment

I cut my 35mm teeth using a Zorki-4 back in the 60's ... Weston light-meter (a friend gave me! as he had a camera with a built-in light-meter) ... and a darkroom with Paterson tank and bits, and a Durst enlarger with a Nikon lens if I recall. Even made up my own ID-11 (I was a chemist back then).

Yes you learn a lot with that set up ... but it consumes a lot of time (darkroom). When I did the science of photography as part of my Colour Chemistry degree you realise just how little you do know! I do look at film cameras in shop windows from time to time ... and think that EOS-3 looks nice ... but resist the temptation.

Comment

I thought long and hard about ditching the EOS3 film cameras (I owned two) in prefererence to the DSLR and now having taken the plunge I have NO REGRETS. I fully agree with Wooley #43. The ability to see the image immediately is the biggest bonus. If you buy a good second hand film camera you can be sure that it will sit doing nothing much.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
          If you buy a good second hand film camera you can be sure that it will sit doing nothing much.
          My EOS 1n still gets used, but more nostalgically, rather than any serious photographic use. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it is not eaning its keep, it's taking up valuable bag space and there is nothing I can achieve with it that couldn't be done better with digital. Much as I hate the idea of parting with it, I think it is going to have to go.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Colin, I have the same fears. I have an EOS RS, 1N RS, 1V and EOS 3 that hardly ever get used. I have 20 or so rolls of E6 and B&W film in the fridge, and a medium format Mamiya. For how much longer.....
            www.garywhite-photography.com
            Gary White, MPhil
            Travel Photographer

Comment

If you hold on to these film cameras for the next 10 years, it's antique value will be greater than many of the modern DSLR's. So thats a thought for you.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Indeed. I just bought the EOS 7D. I wonder how long it will be current?????
                www.garywhite-photography.com
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

An unpalatable truism for any technological innovation is as you leave the premises it is out of date, you have in effect purchased yesterdays technology. This is particularly true for digital cameras, irrespective of brand, or how ever many bells and whistles.

regards

Nigel

Comment

I would buy a film camera especially for black & white as I think digital b&w doesn't hold a candle to film - just my opinion. I have kept my EOS 3 for just this reason.
                    Leoni

Comment

Yes, buy a film camera. For a lot of people (using APS-C cameras) this will provide an opportunity of using wide angle lenses to their full extent, rather than the 'digital cropped' angle. Surely that's worth the price of an EOS 3 at least?
                      Best regards
                      RoyM
                      Tap tap tap...

Comment

If you do, use it regularly.

I went to use my EOS1n after a couple of months sat in the cupboard and the shutter won't fire. I have changed batteries, cleaned contacts etc. but it just won't go. Faithful friend for many years now laid to rest.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Just received new batteries for my EOS3 and EF-m
                          Tap tap tap...

Comment

Just put some film in my fathers old Balda..nice little RF cameras
                            Im finding it strange that we suddenly ditched all our old stuff when the digital revolution hit us and now all the 'kids' suddenly want to use film. Im guessing its a nostalgia thing

Comment

Originally posted by leoni View Post
                              I would buy a film camera especially for black & white as I think digital b&w doesn't hold a candle to film - just my opinion. I have kept my EOS 3 for just this reason.
                              Leoni
                              I think this may have been true a 3-4 years ago, I'm often stunned by what these latest crop of dslrs are capable of.

I'd like a film camera, but it would have to be something special, something that compensates for the inconvenience.

Trev

Comment

Agree 100% Trevor.
                                I sold my Leica M6 rangefinder a few years ago, after having 'gone digital', but I did keep all my Leica glass, and now use it with adapters on my EOS bodies, to supplement my new Canon glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X