X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary - Fulham
    replied
    Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

On the practical point first rather than the pedagogical one...

1. The EOS 3 and 1V can be had for real bargains. Look in pro dealers too for s/h examples, not just Ebay. I can recommend www.yorkcameras.co.uk (close to the British Museum) - they have an excellent range.
    2. People might be seduced by the nostalgia of film and of course, digital is a major step forward. But with film, you'll get very responsive, well designed cameras, 100% viewfinder (often) fov which until recently, digital hasn't had. BUT the major point in my mind is that you will slow down and consider the shot more, which is good thing.

Leave a comment:

• carregwen
    replied

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
    I think half of the reason I would be interested is that I almost feel I have missed out!
    Ah! that feeling of 'missing out', the fear that lurks in all of us.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure that like me you have met quite a few 50+ people who feel that they have missed out by not having the opportunity to learn about computers and all the digital biz. Try to think of digital photography as an opportunity to leap ahead, not look back to the past.

Leave a comment:

• Rob.Richards
    Guest replied

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
    Forgive me for saying so, Rob, but you are letting yourself be the victim of technical determinism, where the equipment controls what you do, rather than you determining what you do. There is nothing to stop you being more considerate about each image using a digital camera. You don't need a film camera to do that. If you want to use film then fine, get one. But it won't necessarily make you a better photographer.

It's only a tool.
    THIS, is a VERY GOOD POINT! I think half of the reason I would be interested is that I almost feel I have missed out! There are so many people that grew up with film, and in doing so, I guess, wasted a huge amount of film but learnt in such a way that it stays with them!

I love learning about photography and drawing inspiration from wherever and wondered if it would actually benefit my photography by going back to the old school!

The point you raise about being more considerate with digital is extremely valid, I always try and get it right in camera to avoid the hours in front of the computer!

Having recently purchased the book Garden Photographer of the Year for just £5 at a service station, it brings home the "it is just a tool" comment. Some of the people used hasselblad, EOS 1D etc other EOS 300, 350 but they were all in the book...

Rob

Leave a comment:

• carregwen
    replied

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
    ... but mainly I would hope my photographic skills would improve as I am forced to be more considerate about each image!
    Forgive me for saying so, Rob, but you are letting yourself be the victim of technical determinism, where the equipment controls what you do, rather than you determining what you do. There is nothing to stop you being more considerate about each image using a digital camera. You don't need a film camera to do that. If you want to use film then fine, get one. But it won't necessarily make you a better photographer.

It's only a tool.

Leave a comment:

• rhodopsin
    replied

I purchased a mint EOS 3 two years ago for £100 and it had only snapped ten rolls of 36. So don't pay any more then that.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied

You're not alone in wondering about an old film body. There are some real bargains on ebay. I know though, if I bought one, it would be just one more ornament to dust under.

Leave a comment:

• Rob.Richards
    Guest started a topic Should I buy EOS film camera?

Should I buy EOS film camera?

One thing I have been considering for some time is whether to buy a 2nd hand EOS film camera. The benefits I see is image quality over my 350D, but mainly I would hope my photographic skills would improve as I am forced to be more considerate about each image!. The negative is film processing and its cost. As I understand it though it would be the equivalent of having a 30megapixel full frame sensor...

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions of a low cost option to look at?

Rob
Working...
X