X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary - Fulham
    replied
    Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

Indeed. I just bought the EOS 7D. I wonder how long it will be current?????

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

If you hold on to these film cameras for the next 10 years, it's antique value will be greater than many of the modern DSLR's. So thats a thought for you.

Leave a comment:

• Gary - Fulham
    replied

Colin, I have the same fears. I have an EOS RS, 1N RS, 1V and EOS 3 that hardly ever get used. I have 20 or so rolls of E6 and B&W film in the fridge, and a medium format Mamiya. For how much longer.....

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
    If you buy a good second hand film camera you can be sure that it will sit doing nothing much.
    My EOS 1n still gets used, but more nostalgically, rather than any serious photographic use. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it is not eaning its keep, it's taking up valuable bag space and there is nothing I can achieve with it that couldn't be done better with digital. Much as I hate the idea of parting with it, I think it is going to have to go.

Colin

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

I thought long and hard about ditching the EOS3 film cameras (I owned two) in prefererence to the DSLR and now having taken the plunge I have NO REGRETS. I fully agree with Wooley #43. The ability to see the image immediately is the biggest bonus. If you buy a good second hand film camera you can be sure that it will sit doing nothing much.

Leave a comment:

• MX5
    replied

I cut my 35mm teeth using a Zorki-4 back in the 60's ... Weston light-meter (a friend gave me! as he had a camera with a built-in light-meter) ... and a darkroom with Paterson tank and bits, and a Durst enlarger with a Nikon lens if I recall. Even made up my own ID-11 (I was a chemist back then).

Yes you learn a lot with that set up ... but it consumes a lot of time (darkroom). When I did the science of photography as part of my Colour Chemistry degree you realise just how little you do know! I do look at film cameras in shop windows from time to time ... and think that EOS-3 looks nice ... but resist the temptation.

Leave a comment:

• Millie
    replied

G'wan .......................... you must have one somewhere, he he.
    Nope, Just been through my hard drive, I couldn't find one Colin. :tongue:

Millie

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

Originally posted by Millie View Post
    This was something I felt like writing at the time, now I think I'd have worded it slightly differently.

LOL....Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures - are you trying to shame me in to posting some good ones ?

Millie
    G'wan .......................... you must have one somewhere, he he.

(Ducks head and runs for cover!)

Colin

Leave a comment:

• Nathaniel
    replied

I fully agree with Woolley. I have also leanrt a lot since ditching film/slide cameras and also seeing other togs photos here, plus the various debates,discussions that I have had and are still going on covering various uncharted areas for me at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Woolley
    replied

I spent around 20 years with a film camera (Olympus OM10, then OM1) and two cheap zooms and I learned a lot that transferred to digital. I've learned more in 3 years DSLR (tried a couple of variations of compact in between to see if I liked digital) than I did in most of the previous 20. I suspect I've also taken more shots in that time than I did before. The big advantage is being able to review the shot settings and seeing 'that worked, that didn't' and then I've tried to reapply that knowledge to the next session. More to the point, I'm not limited to one view of something, I can take a shot, move round, take some more, see how it looks, move again.... I would never have done that with film. Looking back at old prints I can see I was doing OK, and there are some reasonably good ones. I can also see just how much I've improved since.

And then I look at other people's pictures and realize how much further there is to go yet, but usefully, I can also learn by reviewing their settings.

Personally, I'd think you'd do better to learn on digital and then apply what you know to film when you're confident you've mastered the techniques.

Leave a comment:

• briansquibb
    replied

This was something I felt like writing at the time, now I think I'd have worded it slightly differently.

Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures ?

Millie
    For me a mediocre picture would a step up

Leave a comment:

• Millie
    replied

LOL....Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures - are you trying to shame me in to posting some good ones ?

Millie

Leave a comment:

• colin C
    replied

I have some sympathy with Millie's comment.

I rejoined a camera club that I was a member of nearly twenty years ago. There are some members who, although they have progressed to digital, don't appear to have learned anything in the intervening period and they are the first to moan when a judge awards a mediocre mark, to one of their mediocre pictures.

Colin

Leave a comment:

• Millie
    replied

Was just teasing you Millie
    No worries Brian, I welcome the views of genuine members like yourself and others.

Since Rob has bought the camera, I'd like to wish him all the best with it.

Millie

Leave a comment:

• briansquibb
    replied

I have problems with photography that photography theory, experience, and kit can't solve, I'm not creative.

Millie
    Perhaps you can perfect some of my ideas - I have the opposite problem, all creative and not enough technical

Was just teasing you Millie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X