Moiré patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moiré patterns

I have recently taken photos of surfaces covered with acoustic absorption veneered wood which has tiny holes and slits. The result in the images was a Moiré effect that is ugly. I am using EOS 5D MK IV. I wonder whether this camera has an anti-Moiré filter in its sensor. If not, is there a solution to this problem? I would appreciate your input.
    Vasilis

EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Is the moire pattern visible when viewed at the actual pixel level? I've occasionally seen moire on screen when looking at a screen fitted image but this disappears at actual pixel level suggesting a screen resolution issue rather than an actual issue with the captured image. Hopefully your just seeing the same...

If it's real I'm not sure what to do about it though. In the current version of DPP4 there is a check box on one of the adjustment tabs marked 'Colour moire' (or something like that) - you could try ticking it and see what happens. Beyond that I fear I can't help...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for your response El Sid. 3L3A5529a.jpg

Yes, it is visible in every resolution (TIFF format and JPG) and size. I am attaching a photo.In fact it is less pronounced on this photo.
      Do you know whether there are any Moiré​ filters that can be fitted over the lens?
      Last edited by Epicuros; 20-05-2024, 15:38.
      EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Can't say I've ever heard of anti-moire filters for lenses but there's some discussion on DPReview...

You could possibly try a soft focus or 'mist' filter - deally a really weak one - and see if you can live with the loss in sharpness. The only other option I can think of is to revisit and try again with different focal lengths and lens to subject distances to see if there's a combination which will eliminate or drastically reduce the effect. Basically you need to change the size of the pattern seen by the sensor so that it doesn't closely match the pixel pitch of the sensor.,
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you, Ei Sid, for your advice. It may be a solution to shoot from a different angle or increase the distance to the subject. In fact I have used the "blur" function and then unsharp mask to offset blur and it seems to work to some extent. I have not found an over-the-lens filter on the web, although Canon is applying one on its EOS5D R (or is it S?) against Moire patterns. I don't know whether this is a physical or an electronic filter.

Comment

Working...
          X