650D FLASH TRIGGER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650D FLASH TRIGGER

Hi all, This is probably a stupid question but i'll ask anyway, can the 650d remotely trigger non canon speedlites , using the built in wireless flash ?. i am looking at something like the Yongnuo YN-565EX .

Cheers Steve.

Re: 650D FLASH TRIGGER

Originally posted by Magicmunch View Post
    Hi all, This is probably a stupid question but i'll ask anyway, can the 650d remotely trigger non canon speedlites , using the built in wireless flash ?. i am looking at something like the Yongnuo YN-565EX .

Cheers Steve.
    I was looking at this yesterday, according to their web site it can work with either canon or nikon's system - it specifically mentions the 7d, 60d and 600d - which all have the same system, and I am sure the 650 has it also - you might need to check with them:

A brand-new flash: yongnuo YN 565ex flash supported for n’s & c’s system The yn565ex can be triggered by 580ex ii, sb-900/800/700, 7d/60d/600d, nikon c-command and st-e2, and flashes as ttl mode as well as m/multi mode. to enjoy wireless ttl lighting, r

also I watched this:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

this is a Nikon guy but he raves about the flash and I really liked the fact that it can intelligently ignore the preflash and only fire on the actual flash - others have talked about this on here and dismissed it but it is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of a 580 ex and I certainly don't think it is only 1/4 of the quality

Ian
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

The 565 will work with any of Canon's optical-wireless enabled cameras, but there are shortcomings (lack of HSS & master-mode for instance). Check out Speelites.net review for details. The 568 does redress some of these issues, but introduces others (problems with the 60D in particular) and costs considerably more. A new canon 430 can be had for well under £200, and a second hand 580 for a little more than £200, both of which should offer equal/more performance per £.

The lure of thirdparty speedlites is alluring, but do take care as they're reverse-engineered versions of the marque guns and can (and do) have compatibility problems. I've also had one go bang after just over a year.

I for one would say that the Cannon Speedlites are 3-4x the quality of third-party offerings, hence the premium. Think of them in a similar way to L series glass, if you want something which will work faultlessly, reliably, intuitively and in harmony with the rest of your kit then go with a Canon gun. If you're happy with accepting compromises, willing to put a bit of effort in, make allowances for shortcomings, and possibly a shorter lifespan, then go the third party route. The choice is yours.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll give it some thought.

Comment

Working...
        X