Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed me flash?

Flash died.

It was my own fault as I have been using a set-up of three Speedlites on a project and it was a bit heavy going ....... probably 3-400 flashes in a hour. I do have studio flash, but they are too powerful, too slow and I need the short duration to freeze the moment. I am using manual at 1/60th power on the Speedlites, so I am not being as harsh as it would appear at first thought.

The 420EX handled it with no problem, so did the 580EX, but the 580EXII gave up the ghost. All had new batteries to start with, but when the MKII gave up the struggle, I put a new set in and it still didn't work. It was starting to dawn on me that my new project was going to cost me a repair job at Elstree ............ Bummer! The Rear screen would light up for less than a second before it died again. I hoped it may recover over time, so I removed the batteries and tried again the following morning, but no change.

I found a box and some bubble wrap, but there was still a nagging doubt that I couldn't explain. Acting on that I got out my multi-meter and checked the batteries. One was dead. Just enough voltage to flash the screen and nothing more. Did the batteries cause the problem, or did the flash kill a battery? Only one way to find out and a new set of batteries were fitted to find everything working perfectly and have continued over a couple of days. Could have been rather embarrassing to come back from Canon with "No Fault Found", and somewhat expensive, and I would have been without it for a week.

Note to self: thank lucky stars and be a bit more gentle with the gear in future.
    Colin

Killed me flash?

More like thanks for listening to your inner voice as it prevented you from a costly no repair.

Tom

Comment

Re: Killed me flash?

Some years ago I had a similar problem with my 580EX .... It was when I came to charge the batteries that all was revealed. That's why I like Technoline BL700 - it told me which battery was faulty. More recently my GPS got through a pair of batteries in a few hours (they should last 15-24hrs) ... fortunately I carry spares. When I got home and put in the charger it reported one as unhealthy ... so ditched the pair. I think they can fail for no apparent reason.

Comment

Panic followed by relief .. ... .... .... that feeling of relief is priceless.
        Well done Colin on sorting the dilemma.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Good bit of luck, what make of battery were they.

Comment

Duracell Plus.

After problems with other makes a few years ago, I tend to buy these in bulk, so I always have plenty on hand.
            Colin

Comment

I know that feeling of relief Colin!
              Can I recommend that you consider switching to Eneloop 1500 rechargeable batteries (Eneloop is recommended by most over other rechargeable brands) - the flash is ready for the next shot so much quicker than alkaline batteries and they retain their charge for months if not years when not in use. At 1500 charges they work out so much cheaper too, especially for a heavy user such as yourself, and there is no memory loss if you recharge when not yet empty so there's no excuse for not always having a fresh set at hand. They are also available in a variety of colours so that you never get them mixed up in your bag.
              Andy

Comment

Whilst the latest eneloop have 1800 cycle lifetime they are only 2000mAh. If you need a bit more oopfh then eneloop pro ("XX"'s) give 2500mAh but only 500 cycles.

I do keep some for emergencies because of their amazing power retention ... but tend to use normal 2900mAh rechargeable's.

I note ColinC uses none-rechargeable Duracells?

Comment

I note ColinC uses none-rechargeable Duracells?
                  Yes.

I have had problems with batteries and flash units in the past, so I am a bit reluctant to experiment.

First, my previous Canon Speedlites needed 4.5 volts to trigger. Fine when you are using Duracells at 4 x 1.5v, but with rechargeables at 1.2v, they only add to 4.8 volts, so you are very soon under the working voltage. That may have improved with later flash units, but I have not tested them.

Second, I tried Lithium batteries in my MR14-EX ring flash and although it may have been a coincidence, they fried the flash. I believe that at 1.7 volts each, they were too powerful and the main circuit board no longer works.

So, I stick to Duracells. Readily available, can buy them in bulk and always have a spare box or two.
                  Colin

Comment

Ok thank Colin,
                    just out of interest this could be a good time to ask how many of us use rechargeable as to non-rechargeable batteries in their flash lights.
                    I only ever use rechargeable without any problems and for a while now I have used eneloop purely for the time you can store them without the loss of power.

Comment

Colin, glad that the flash is OK, to answer Manson's query I only ever use recharegeable batteries in my 430 and 580 EX ii flashes. I have just shot of a 100+ on all three in well under an hour for a project I am working on, I have not quite pushed them as hard as you did with 3-400 shots in an hour but when I have had them set up for demos at the camera club practical evenings they will have covered well over 500 shots in 2-2.5hrs, yes I did have to change the batteries towards the end but that was after an estimated 400 shots. Today I am using the guns at between 1/8 and 1/32 power at the club the highest output would have been 1/4

Comment

Thanks for the update everyone.

It would appear that eneloop rechargables are the way to go and I shall order some.
                        Colin

Comment

I use both, but avoid lithium. Read somewhere they can do nasty things if they get too hot
                          Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Working...
                          X