550 EX problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 EX problem

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise me with a problem I have with my Speedlite 550EX. I have mainly used this for fill-flash in automatic mode. When I tried it yesterday, for first time in over a year, it didn't fire, although has new batteries and a test fire (pressing the pilot button) works fine.

I notice that the screen (see photo) shows ETTL M Zoom. The user guide says to use in Auto Zoom press the zoom button until M turns off. That doesn't happen - nothing happens when I press the zoom button, and I can't get rid of the M button.

Does this sound like a fault with the flash, or could it be something I am doing wrong?

Many thanks

Alan
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I had something like that happen to me once, I can't remember the exact details, you could fire on test, but not when you pressed the shutter. It transpired to be the camera settings, as I say it was quite some time back. I was using the 580EX and 7D combo. Might be worth looking at the camera settting's. No doubt one of the Wizz Kids on here will come up with the answer.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I have managed to solve the problem - one caused my own stupidity. For reasons I cannot fathom, when I had last put the Speedlite away I had pulled out the wide panel (diffuser?) and folded it down over the front of the flash head. Looking at the manual, this disables the zoom button and sets the zoom at 17mm. Once I retracted the wide panel and put it back into its recess, the unit worked perfectly. So nothing wrong with the unit, but plenty wrong with the owner!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshireal View Post
        I have managed to solve the problem - one caused my own stupidity. For reasons I cannot fathom, when I had last put the Speedlite away I had pulled out the wide panel (diffuser?) and folded it down over the front of the flash head. Looking at the manual, this disables the zoom button and sets the zoom at 17mm. Once I retracted the wide panel and put it back into its recess, the unit worked perfectly. So nothing wrong with the unit, but plenty wrong with the owner!
        Welcome to the Club, I wondered why mine did not fire this week - I forgot to switch it on.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
        X