Buying a flash - guidance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a flash - guidance needed

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my flash to a 430EXMkII, but a 580EX or 580ExII (secondhand?) are options too.

I know the 580 series has greater power and range, but what are the other advantages of buying the more expensive models?

Re: Buying a flash - guidance needed

Originally posted by b318isp View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my flash to a 430EXMkII, but a 580EX or 580ExII (secondhand?) are options too.

I know the 580 series has greater power and range, but what are the other advantages of buying the more expensive models?
    I have two 430EX's (greed!) The 580 can act as a master to other slave units, I think, but I use the STE2 Canon off camera transmitter for off-camera stuff, and that works well. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...itter/p1001562

Comment

Rob has said it all really. The 580 can act as a master, or you need an STE2.
      I have a 430EXII and the 580EXII. I do not have the STE2 but thinking of that.

It does depend on what you want to do. If you need the extra reach of the 580 then fine, if not but want off camera set ups, then Rob's combination is a good one.

Ian

Comment

I'm not planning to go down the slave/master route in the foreseeable future (any there are also 3rd party transmitters that can be used).

Ian, given you have both flashes, what are the other performance or functional differences?

Comment

Just a little thing, but using both the 430 and 580 I've found that the ability of the 580 to "point downwards", albeit by just a small amount, helps with macro stuff when I mount the flash on a flat bracket by the side of the camera.
          Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

You can use a battery pack with the 580 and it's more weather resistant.

If you photograph groups in low light sometimes the 580ex is not powerful enough, so gawd only knows what it would be like with the 430.

I'd go for the 580ex 11 over the 580ex, because of the metal foot alone.

Comment

Ian, given you have both flashes, what are the other performance or functional differences?
              I wish I could answer this fully but have only had the 580EXii for a short time so would not feel qualified to comment on performance differences. I purchased it because of extra reach and the slave facility only having found the 430's reach a bit short when I was taking photos of conference speakers from the balcony (circa 50 ft away).

Ian

Comment

The 430EXMkII has the metal foot too.

Can a battery pack be used on the 430?

This is for amateur use only!

Comment

The 430EXMkII has the metal foot too.
                  Yes I know, you said.
                  but a 580EX or 580ExII (secondhand?) are options too.
                  Buy the best you can afford, if you’re looking to be convinced that there’s not much difference, therefore you should buy the cheaper one, you won’t hear that from me. That said, the 430ex11 is a massive leap from the onboard flash, and you can always upgrade at a later time.

On the diffs between the 580 ex and 580ex11
                  1. There is the metal foot
                  2. The ability to access some flash controls and cfs via recent...ish canon bodies.

That’s the only differences I see, and I use flashguns everyday.

Comment

To add: 580 also havestroboscopic mode. They also rotate with onlyone button. Have finer power steps in manual control and they have a catchlight reflector. This last one can be useful even if you do not use the other features. Youcan get as new 580 mk1 on ebay for abt 200 pounds. The extra power is also very useful.
                    Last edited by DenisV; 27-09-2009, 18:10.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

I have the 580ex11, its brilliant very versatile, high recycle rate for action shots.

You won't regret it...........
                      shoot the Canon

http://www.twpc.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X