Canon 100-400 f4-5.6L IS USM Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 100-400 f4-5.6L IS USM Lens

Hi, I have borrowed one of these for a week to see if it will augment my wildlife togging with some better closeups etc. Usually I use a 70-200 f/4L with a 1.4x extender.

Noticeably slower in focussing, but not by a lot, I'm just wondering what the "sweet spot" of this lens is in terms of aperture and zoom.

If you'd like to share your experience with this lens, I'd be most grateful.

(Shot attached from Llanelli Wetlands today)
    Attached Files
    See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Re: Canon 100-400 f4-5.6L IS USM Lens

The sweet spot, as you call it, is at f/8 on the Canon 100-400mm lens.
    There is a slight drop (only slight) in resolution at 400mm.

Llanelli WWT is on my list for this year.

Comment

Thanks, if you want to meet up there, just drop a line.
      See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Good light and stop it down to F8 with a high shutter speed. Mine didn't fall off at all at 400mm, was slightly softer at 70mm but you'd be hard pushed to noticed.

A very versatile telephoto zoom and in many respects I wish I still had one.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          ..........A very versatile telephoto zoom and in many respects I wish I still had one.

Colin
          She still loves you Colin and should have sent you a Christmas Card but was "down under" over Christmas and missed the post.....

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 26-03-2012, 13:30. Reason: defined the sex of the lens.... much better than calling her... "it"
          David

Comment

I'm pleased she is still looking after you David.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Usually I use a 70-200 f/4L with a 1.4x extender.

Noticeably slower in focussing
              Hi Andy,

If you found the 100-400mil slower then there's something wrong with it. I have tried the 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4TC and that was much slower in the AF department. My 100-400 is good throughout the whole range, but like Colin says f8+ the for best setting. Its a lens that does like a lot of light.

TTFN,
              Neil
              Neilly's Flickr Page
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
              Facebook
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I normally use my 100-400 wide open at f5.6 and get great results.
                F8 will probably be better though.
                I find it quick in the AF dept.
                I was loaned a Sigma 150-500 the other week and that really was slow compared to the Canon.

The only downside for me was when I had it on the 1D Mk3 - No matter how much MA I just couldn't get a sharp image.
                Now that I have the 7D in place of the 1D3 all is rosy again.

All-in-All a great lens that I wouldn't be without

Mike
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I have only good things to say about the 10-400mm the same as Colin,Neil & David. This lens is ideal for Nature photography & sport photography.
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                  Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                  Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Love mine and it seems good through the whole range. I tog a lot of cricket in the summer and you can get shots like this...

Comment

hhcanon I really like the bauble on the Xmas tree!
                      Martin
                      Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Interesting thread, as I was thinking of investing in this lens. Am not sure whether to go for the 70-300mm L series lends, or older the 100-400mm

AndyL I'm from W.Wales as well, and just getting in to photogrphy. Can you recommend any other good nature photography spots in easy travelling distance?
                        EF 16-35mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-70mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-105mm F4 L; EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukfalc/

Comment

I recently bought this lens for wildlife photgraphy on my 60D. I am really dissapointed with it and more so when I read how happy everyone else seems to be. I am finding it very difficult to get sharp shots and the focus often seems to latch on behind the focus point I select. With AI servo on the focus seems even worse. I am deleting 99% of the pictures I take with this lens adn I am pulling my hair out as it cost a lot of money to buy. I would be interested to know what tests I can do to try and identify if its me or the lens or the camera that is causing the problem.

As a general comment I would agree the lens is best at f8 - but unless its a really sunny day I find its impossible to get f8 without compromising on the ISO.

Comment

Please can you post an example of an image you are not happy with.

Comment

I use this lens a lot. Sometime I get frustrated with shots out of focus. Other times I am really pleased with the results. So it means I can't put any problem down entirely to the lens. What I believe ( I can't really prove this) is that the lens is sometimes a bit slow to focus and I press the shutter button a bit to quick. When you think that I mostly shoot from the long end, not the fastest lens in the Canon Range . When I take shots that I have enough time to think about what I am doing I do hold the first pressure for a bit longer and I usually get a good shot.
                              del

Comment

Working...
                              X