7D and lens conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D and lens conundrum

Hi all, I've just moved over from a Nikon to the 7D and have only one lens to work with, a EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS....it's a bit on the cheap side so i would appreciate some advice and suggestions at to other more suitable quality lenses...pleeeze

I shoot motocross and equine mainly and find myself with a choice of lenses, some of which are pretty expensive...

If i get a good price for all my Nikon gear I should have somewhere in the region of £1200 to play with.....

I want a 24-105 L IS as it would be perfect for closer shots, weddings and Portraits etc but would eat up half my budget..unless there is a suitable alternative?

Which leads me to the big zooms....

The 70-200 F4 L IS is around the £900+ mark where as the non IS version is nearly half price.....is IS really necessary especially at shutter speeds of 1/800 and over? (considering it has 'L' glass) I rarely used VR on the Nikon lens.

The 70-300 F4 L IS is around the £900 mark as well with the non 'L' version considerably cheaper at £300 but how does the quality compare?

I know the adage that we would be better off buying quality glass but it isn't always possible...

So thats my conundrum

The Nikon lens i used was the 70-300 F4-5.6 VR and gave great results, but wasn't overly sharp at 300mm...

What does the panel think? I could spend hours reading reviews but i would prefer to hear it from someone who actually uses one of these lenses regularly...

Cheers, Martin
    Martin

It is better to have and not need...than to need and not have!

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Re: 7D and lens conundrum

If there's a bit of flexibility in the budget ...

The 24-105L works fine on the 7D (I use that combination) ... but lacks wide. Paired with a 70-200L f4 none-IS provides a good start (I use the 2.8 on my 7D).

If you need wide ... Try a 17-40L, 70-200L f4 none-IS and if the gap bothers you add a 50 f1.8 'nifty fifty'

The Canon 70-300L from what I've seen is very good ... even at 300.

Comment

I would try the 17-55f2.8 and either the non L 70-300 or the 70-200Lf4

Comment

Hi Martin - and welcome to the forum!

I have a 550D (so a 1.6 crop - like your 7D). I used to have the non-L 70-300, and for learning (being a beginner) it was great for the money, but I moved up to the 70-300 L 5 months ago, and I have noticed a jump in quality! It also focusses faster than the non-L, and is more robust, but also heavier for it! If budget allows, the 70-300 L is a great lens, and yes, still sharp enough at 300. It also takes the Kenko DGX 300 Pro 1.4 converter with loss of 1 f-stop, but no loss in focus ability. I don't think it takes Canon's own converters though - strange that!

I agree the nifty fifty would be a good addition for little comparitive outlay.

Also, if you're shooting at the shutter speeds you mention, you don't need IS! Rule of thumb generally is for hand held, use shutter => as focal length. i.e. shooting at 300mm, use at least 1/300.

Hope that helps. All the best, Mike.

P.S. Don't know where you're based, but you can try both my L and non-L 70-300's if you're near Epsom, Surrey! Let me know!
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

15-85 and a 70-200f4.

Comment

Hi Martin,

I have a 7D. I'm not an expert, but here are a few of my offerings using some of the lenses you mention.

Here's a few with the 70-300 IS USM

Here's a few with the 70-300L IS USM

Includes images taken before the general, studio and nude categories were added on 24 February 2013

Please feel free to visit my Flickr where I have a few more examples.

Graydon
            Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
            EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, quite a lot to consider....I've found approximate prices for them all and now need to do some serious thinking......

Some very interesting combinations.....if I choose wisely i can cover most of my range and then sell the 55-250 and put the funds towards a tele converter maybe :O)

I'll let you know when i've finally sold all my 'other' kit

@mikep, sorry, don't live near you whiich is a shame.....

Do Canon make a 70-300 L non IS?

Martin
              Martin

EOS 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 ll, EF 70-200 F4 L IS, Nissin Di866 Speedlight, Yongnuo YN568EX Speedlight, 4 x Yongnuo 622C triggers, a Battery Grip and 4 spare batteries (for emergencies...)

Comment

I've got the non-IS 70-200 f/4 and I'm happy to recommend it. For horses and bikes you can safely push the ISO up if shutter speeds drop for hand-holding. Very rarely I think the IS would be nice but I don't think it's worth the price difference unless you can comfortably afford it. On a budget, don't bother. There are often good examples of this lens on e-bay which will save you £100+ - it seems to be one that people upgrade to the 2.8 versions from so they crop up often.

Consider the Sigma 1.4x to go with it. £100 or more cheaper than the Canon for results that aren't markedly different. Those two will set you back around £700, possbily £600 with the second hand option, leaving you enough for the 15-85 IS which is often highly recommended.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

One of the best decisions I ever made was to ditch a 70-200mm F2.8 zoom and buy a 200mm F2.8L lens, it's as sharp as the zoom, weight and size around half the 70-200 F2.8 so nice and comfortable to carry around, add a 1.4TC and you have a great combination. My 200mm +1.4TC is almost a permanent fixture on my 7D.

Price wise, second hand they go for around £450 .

Obviously, it hasen't got the flexibility of a zoom, but I can honestly say I've never missed it.

I did a review of the lens here:

And it's a very capable lens, this image taken with 200mm F2.8L on a 7d

It's a
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks Woolley, i was thinking along similar lines, i rarely used the VR on the Nikon lens so could manage without it...plus the addition of a 1.4 x TC would be useful....

I see Canon have announced the imminent arrival of an EF-S 18-135 F3.5-5.6 IS STM and at under £500 it looks to be an ideal lens, giving me a reasonable wide angle and decent mid zoom and with my meagre budget i could afford all three, but only just LOL I look forward to some user reviews first though...

Les, a smashing shot, obviously a superb lens, unfortunately for me a tad restricting...with equine, particularly the Showing, the handlers/riders use the whole ring (section of field more like) to show off their skills and i have to careful where i stand...the judges get annoyed if you're in the way hehehe! but thanks for the suggestion anyway :O)

OH, and i ordered the nifty fifty today, could use it at my cousin's wake next Wednesday......
                    Martin

Comment

Welcome to the light Martin.

The 55 - 250mm is a surprisingly good lens, much better than its price would suggest. I have often been pleasantly surprised at the quality this lens can produce.

For the sports you are shooting IS isn't a necessity, so the non IS 70 - 200mm f4 will do you well. The 70 - 300mm L IS isn't available in a non IS version, but still well worth considering.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Take a look at a 15-85mm which offers great flexibility and for longer focal reach the 70-200 f/4 is a solid performer :)
                        Gripped 40d | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 | Cosina 100 - 400 f3.5 | Nissin Di622 | Redsnapper Bag

Comment

Working...
                        X