Lensbaby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lensbaby!

Can any member advise me about the usefulness or otherwise of the Canon Lensbaby? Christmas pressie time and I am wondering what to hint at to my professional children?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Lensbaby!

I did post a long rambling/grumpy reply to this Nat. and it didnt post, which is probably just as well! So Im goin' to sit back and see wot others have to say

Comment

It's a solution to a problem that never was.

We seemed to manage without it in the days of film, so that must have been for a hundred years or so. Now that we have digital and can produce similar effects in Photoshop and Elements, someone invents the Lens baby.

I have tried one from my Pro Shop and spent so much time looking for a shot where it would work, I missed far more worthy shots in the process.

By now the more astute amongst you may have realised that I am not a fan.
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        It's a solution to a problem that never was.

We seemed to manage without it in the days of film, so that must have been for a hundred years or so. Now that we have digital and can produce similar effects in Photoshop and Elements, someone invents the Lens baby.

I have tried one from my Pro Shop and spent so much time looking for a shot where it would work, I missed far more worthy shots in the process.

By now the more astute amongst you may have realised that I am not a fan.
        Thanks Colin - its more or less what I had written - but probably in a more ascerbic style (grumpy git style).
        Save youre money and go for a long w/e away with the wife -fine dining - and some photo ops - all taken care of!

Comment

Well the professional children should buy their old man ... a Norwegian Fjord Cruise ... and a nice new f/2.8 400mm for those whale shots.

Seriously don't get a lens baby ... there must be something more useful that you really Need.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
            Well the professional children should buy their old man ... a Norwegian Fjord Cruise ... and a nice new f/2.8 400mm for those whale shots.

Seriously don't get a lens baby ... there must be something more useful that you really Need.
            Spot on MX - how about a city break in Sweden or Hungary- more photo ops. than you can point a stick at!

Comment

I have gone off the Lens Baby now- for GOOD. I believe in getting something I really need and will use. The 400mm is really nice but once again I am put off by the weight issue. Even what I have now, weighs a ton after walking about 50yds.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                I have gone off the Lens Baby now- for GOOD. I believe in getting something I really need and will use. The 400mm is really nice but once again I am put off by the weight issue. Even what I have now, weighs a ton after walking about 50yds.
                Thank 'God' you have drawn a line under that one!! How about a nifty 50 and rediscover photography. Alternatively, give me shout and you could have a week in Morocco for the same price as an L lens- minus the trots of course-but very photo friendly. I think I left the cards and crib board in the house so all youre entertainment needs are spoken for!

Comment

i sold all my lensbaby gear as you can do most of the photography with normal lenses with a bit of effort.
                  I have also found an adapter on amazon to put on my canon & can now use all my old nikon lenses on the canon which are good quality & not plasticy like most new lenses, so now have a complete range from 20mm up to 300mm all primes.

Comment

now have a complete range from 20mm up to 300mm all primes.
                    And very nice too.

Let's not necessarily knock plastic though. Many of the plastics used are space age plastics, chosen because their properties are superior to equivalents metals such as:

• Greater resilience to damage
                    • Does not expand when exposed to heat
                    • Does not contract when exposed to cold
                    • No paint to chip off
                    • Will tend to spring back if knocked, rather than dent
                    • Can be stronger
                    • Generally lighter
                    • Less expensive to manufacture
                    Colin

Comment

while I agree with some of what you say colin, some of the new plastic lenses are not so good, for example the plastic mount on the 50mm 1.8 mk11, the mk 1 was far better with a metal mount, also some other lenses have plastic mounts.
                      my nikon lenses my be old but are in very good condition & all have metal mounts & no chipped paint ( depends how you look after them ).
                      I use the nikon lenses on my nikon film cameras an "f" and an "f2", but use canon for digital photography & also as I have said can use my nikons on the canon.
                      Last edited by druid; 14-01-2013, 14:13. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                      X