Nifty fifty f1.8 vs 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nifty fifty f1.8 vs 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Can any member evaluate/review the merits and demerits of these two lenses please. I have now got both and find that apart from the 10mm difference between the two lenses, the nifty fifty with it's f1.8 aperture is far superior for low light photography esp in museums and similar where one cannot use any flash. The definition/bokeh too is far superior with the nifty fifty.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Nifty fifty f1.8 vs 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

I would have thought the same as you Nathaniel.

If you haven't got a 50mm, then the 40mm can be quite enticing, especially as it is not very deep, but I would have thought that the versatility of an f1.8 lens would far outweigh that of an f2.8, regardless how small it was.
    Colin

Comment

The bokeh of the f1.8 is pretty awful, by far the worst (optical) aspect of the lens - the 40mm appears a LOT better in this aspect, but in all honesty, bokeh is not often something I get that excited about. Little to split them on resolution. The build quality of the 40 is streets ahead - I can't imagine that literally falling apart as my first 50mm f1.8 II did. And ultimately, I think 40mm on full frame is a much more useful focal length than 50mm. Against that, as you say, f1.8 is generally a lot more useful in low light situations. My view is that the 40mm is ideally suited to the 6D - it makes a compact kit, and the 6D is so good in low light you can afford an extra stop or so. Can't see the point of it on APS-C or bigger cameras, TBH.
      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Resolution figures for the 40mm f/2.8 STM are very impressive, better than the 50mm f/1.8 II USM lens.
        This is reflected in the price, the 40mm being twice the price of the 50mm f/1.8 II.
        For similar resolution figures then the 50mm f/1.4 (when stopped down) is up there with the 40mm f/2.8, both are superb.

I believe that the 40mm f/2.8 looks better on the Canon EOS M mirrorless camera than on a bulky D-SLR camera.
        Such a cute little lens but don't be fooled by the size, sometimes great things come in small packages.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments. I am of course a bit confused when members refer to "build quality", and to the lens "falling apart" when referring to the nifty fifty. I have had my nifty fifty for a good few years and always travels with me when I go away on holiday. I haven't of course used it much photographically but I haven't noticed any "build" weakness in the lens, unless of course one is ham fisted with it; this would go for other lenses as well. I certainly wouldn't want a lens that is built like a "tank" adding to the weight. It would be helpful to me if I know how many members have had the experience of the nifty fifty "falling apart" when it is used as it should be. I would also think Canon would go out of business if it made lenses that would "fall apart" with normal use.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Sv: Nifty fifty f1.8 vs 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Regarding the bokeh of the 50 1.8...
            Most people say its awful etc.. Due to its 5blade aparture construction. But I do like it, I think harsh bokeh looks really nice. Artistic in some way. Ef 50 1.8 with some unsharpen mask makes some great things!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              Thanks guys for your comments. I am of course a bit confused when members refer to "build quality", and to the lens "falling apart" when referring to the nifty fifty. I have had my nifty fifty for a good few years and always travels with me when I go away on holiday. I haven't of course used it much photographically but I haven't noticed any "build" weakness in the lens, unless of course one is ham fisted with it; this would go for other lenses as well. I certainly wouldn't want a lens that is built like a "tank" adding to the weight. It would be helpful to me if I know how many members have had the experience of the nifty fifty "falling apart" when it is used as it should be. I would also think Canon would go out of business if it made lenses that would "fall apart" with normal use.
              I'm absolutely astonished that you should be at all surprised that anyone questions the build quality of this lens; it's by some considerable distance Canon's worst-made lens, and not a patch on the build quality of the 40. I was always fully aware of how flimsy it was, and took great care with it, but in 1997 when I had had it about 5 years I was walking in New Hampshire's White Mountains on a forest trail. Bring dingy, I had the 50 on my camera (EOS 100) when a snake crossed the path. I tried to take a picture of it, but when focusing, the lens literally fell apart. It was NOT mishandled or treated roughly in any way, as you so insultingly infer. When it came apart, it was obvious just how cheaply made the whole thing is. I've never had a problem with the plastic mount (although some have claimed it is prone to break if dropped, my view is that you shouldn't drop lenses - it can easily decentre elements). It has always felt cheap and flimsy, and when you can see inside the thing it really doesn't inspire confidence with cheap nylon gear wheels and a definite impression of being made down to a price. However, it's optically pretty good, and my old one still works in manual focus, having pushed the assembly back again. In 20 years of EOS use, this is the only Canon lens I've had such a problem with, and I own a lot - I've had to have 3 other lenses repaired, a 28-135 because something jammed the zoom function, a 135 SF because I dropped it, so had to have the AF switch refixed and the centring checked, and most recently my 24-105L with an IS unit failure. That said, my wife had a Sigma 24-50 which also fell apart with no provocation.

Comment

Re: Sv: Nifty fifty f1.8 vs 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Originally posted by Frans View Post
                Regarding the bokeh of the 50 1.8...
                Most people say its awful etc.. Due to its 5blade aparture construction. But I do like it, I think harsh bokeh looks really nice. Artistic in some way. Ef 50 1.8 with some unsharpen mask makes some great things!
                Well if you like harsh bokeh, the 50mm f1.8 is a great choice - the only better one being the 70-300 DO.

Comment

Many thanks Nick for your full explanation. I now understand.So I better be on guard when using this lens. I too have had this lens for nearly 5 years now and seems to work OK.

Comment

Working...
                  X