Canon 70-200mm f/4L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 70-200mm f/4L

I need to buy a new telephoto lens as I intend to start shooting weddings and will need one. My current sigma lens (the £99 one) is certainly no good for that. I'm looking at either the Sigma 170-500mm APO or the Canon 70-200mm f/4L. Such a zoom as the one offered by the sigma isn't necessary, but I'd like about 300mm. I was thinking, if the canon optical quality is high enough I could just crop from 200mm.

Does anyone have experience with this lens, and know if the optical quality at 200mm is good enough to crop from. I know with my camera that cropping from 200mm to replicate a 300mm shot will leave me with an 8MP image and I don't think that should be a problem. The reason for being unsure about the sigma is I will be left with nothing between 85mm and 170mm so I could have problems.

I am using a crop body and my budget is about £400, so this is about the best I can come up with unless anyone knows of something I have missed.

Thanks.

Re: Canon 70-200mm f/4L

The Sigma is a bit of a monster, slow to focus and noisy when focussing and it would be "unusual" to use this as a wedding lens.

Wedding Togs that I know would tend to use the following:

16 - 35mm f2.8L or 17 - 40mm f4L

23 - 70mm f2.8L or 24 - 105mm f4L

70 - 200mm f2.8L or 70 - 200mm f4L

Over and above those, there will often be a 50mm f1.2L, or 50mm 1.4 for low light use where flash isn't allowed, or desirable. I tend to steer clear of weddings, but for candids, a 200mm was more than enough and I didn't feel the need for any longer lenses.
    Colin

Comment

My experience of the F4L 70-200 is that it performs much better at 70mm and midrange than at 200mm where it is decidedly below par. (Not a focussing issue- no difference with MF or autofocus, nor camerashake issue - tripod use and up to 1/1000sec).
      I find my sigma APO 70-300 betterfor sharpness at 200mm than the canon, but the canon has the edge when it comes to contrast at any focal length. I should say that I dont use the sigma between 200-300 because the results are too disappointing in terms of sharpness.

Comment

I have the Canon 70-200mm f4L lens and will not part with it. It is superb and quite light in comparison to the f2.8 L lens and much cheaper. Add a 1.4TC to it and you have a reach of 280mm on full frame and 448mm on a crop body. I prefer to take this combo esp when on holiday. I would personally recommend this lens but I am sure other members too will be happy to advise.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Oh I never considered a 50mm 1.2, that's probably a good idea actually. It's looking like I may even be able to stretch to the canon 100-400mm f/4l but only just. The stupid thing is, I need the lens in order to make the money...

Comment

Canon 70-200mm f/4L

Judging by your "8mp cropped to 200mm" comment, I'd assume you have a 12mp body, which probably means it isn't latest generation so high ISO performance probably won't be quite as noise-free as on the new body's, if this is the case then I'd suggest you steer clear of any of the slow lenses (Sigma 150-500, Canon 100-400) and ideally go for the f/2.8's however that bumps the price up considerably.

I think Colin's advice is very sound, f/2.8 or f/4 Canon glass starting wide and running to 200mm, but I think you'll probably rue your decision if you don't go for the f/2,8 variants

I assume from your original post you also have a Canon 15-85? That's a good (if slow) lens, and in your second post you mention you could stretch to a 100-400 as well, so if I were in your position I'd go the whole hog and get the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II (That will set you back around £1,450 from Park Cameras with the Canon cashback and their latest e-mail offer code). Then when funds allow look at something faster at the wide end.

If you're at all unsure then before taking the plunge try hiring your chosen lens for a wedding and see how it feels, you may be surprised.

As for the 50mm f/1.2, that will blow you budget, but the f/1.4 variant can be had for under £250
            Last edited by S_J_P; 13-01-2013, 09:21.
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I have shot many weddings, here are my observations for what they are worth.

A large percentage of the shots use flash for fill. You haven't mentioned that but it is essential that you get a reliable and powerful flash gun. Outside when photographing the couple and the groups, it balances any harsh contrast if it is very bright and gives a pleasant highlight in the eyes.

I have a minimum of 2 SLR's. If one packs up or gets dropped etc. you have a backup. I have a 70-200 2.8 on one camera and a 24-105 on the other. This gives you the advantage of quickly using different focal lengths without faffing around changing lenses. Time is short and people will get bored quickly if they are waiting for the photographer.

I have never needed anything longer that 200mm at a wedding. I often use it indoors with bounced flash to capture the speeches and the guests relaxing and having fun at the reception.

The 24-105 comes into its own with groups. Allowing you to cover large groups but also zoom in to individuals as/when something comes up. Again, flash is used in virtually every shot outside.

I can't honestly see that the sigma would be any use at all at a wedding.

it's just my way of doing things, travelling light and having your kit ready for anything allows you to get the work done quickly and effectively. I hope it helps, and I'm sure that you are aware, shooting a wedding requires understanding of your kit, lighting and excellent technique, you only get one chance with no time for chimping or re-shooting if you get it wrong. Planning you shots and groups beforehand is essential, as are excellent people skills and an air of authority and efficiency.

An assistant will help as well, helping you to get the groups arranged and also get some more candid shots while you are shooting the 'official' ones.
              Scuff

Canon EOS 1Dx
              16-35, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis, 70-300 f4-5.6Lis, 300 f2.8Lis, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 90 TS-E
              Speedlight 600ex-RT (2x), ST-E3 RT.

My flickr page

Comment

I cant think why you would even need to consider a 170-500 lens for weddings unless you want to keep your distance from the happy coulpe.

I have the 70-200 f2.8L IS and my wife the 70-200 f4 L and both are super lenses, and often its difficult to distinguish between shots taken with both

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

All replies seem to ignore your budget and what's the Sigma £99 lens ??
                  Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                    All replies seem to ignore your budget and what's the Sigma £99 lens ??
                    "It's looking like I may even be able to stretch to the canon 100-400mm f/4l but only just.", so around £1,250 is the budget I'd been working to.
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Oh that 100-400 would be a used one. And not new used but old and well used.

I've put a deposit down on the canon f4/L 70/200mm USM. I think one thing I need most will be people skills. Maybe I'll put off for a while and find another way to make some money.

Comment

I think one thing I need most will be people skills.
                        From experience, you can be the best photographer in the world, but if you don't have the people skills for the guests to work with you, the results will be rather mediocre.

You need them to want to be in the picture, following your directions and giving their best. They need to fully understand what you want and you need to work confidently and quickly.

You can learn some of it, but without the basic people skills to start with, you're on a hiding to nothing.
                        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          From experience, you can be the best photographer in the world, but if you don't have the people skills for the guests to work with you, the results will be rather mediocre.

You need them to want to be in the picture, following your directions and giving their best. They need to fully understand what you want and you need to work confidently and quickly.

You can learn some of it, but without the basic people skills to start with, you're on a hiding to nothing.
                          Absolutely agree 100%.

Essentially you have to bully people todo what you want, but in a nice way... I've learned the hard way to start with the larger groups and work down to just the bride & groom. The advice about knowing your kit inside out and working quickly so stop people getting bored is also sound, and if you can team up with someone else you'll find it a lot less stressful.
                          “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                          "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                          "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                          "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Well maybe teaming up with someone could make me more confident with telling people what to do. I'm no people person, it's just a shame Landscapes won't pay me to photograph them.

Comment

Originally posted by dkane95 View Post
                              Well maybe teaming up with someone could make me more confident with telling people what to do. I'm no people person, it's just a shame Landscapes won't pay me to photograph them.
                              Try not to be disheartened. It can be done, but we are just emphasising that wedding photography is not an area you can just have a dabble at. The consequences to all involved if the images are poor don't bear thinking about.
                              You can earn from your photography, but it is a lot harder than it used to be. Everyone has a camera and is therefore a photographer! I pay for my kit and holidays by selling through the stock agencies. A few commercial jobs and weddings keep me ticking over. I really enjoy my photography first and foremost, even though I have been at this game for 35 years, I am sill learning.
                              Scuff

Canon EOS 1Dx
                              16-35, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis, 70-300 f4-5.6Lis, 300 f2.8Lis, 17 TS-E, 24 TS-E II, 90 TS-E
                              Speedlight 600ex-RT (2x), ST-E3 RT.

My flickr page

Comment

Working...
                              X